1974 Yamaha tx650, No lights!!!

dbillingsley72

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the 650 world. I recently received a 650 for free. I fixed it up to the point that it runs great and all the lights did work. My flasher relay was taking a dump on me so I unplugged it and accidentally shorted out the wires that go to it. After shorting out those wires, no lights on the bike will come on. I have no power going to the headlight or to the flasher relay. The fuse is good. I have been chasing wires for a while now and now I'm pulling my hair out. Any input on what I might have fried would be awesome. Thank you.

Good chance you did in fact burn out a wire or 2 and they can be hard to find. My son once put a battery in back wards and had smoke rolling from doing so. He rode 700 mile home using a car battery and stops on the way to charge up the battery. When he got home I checked out what he had done and all I needed to do was repair a simple ground wire and the charging system has worked ever since

From the tech section / electrical / some wiring diagrams / post #7 by 650 skull,

View attachment 22980

Get out your tester or a test bulb, like old coal says; confirm you have a good ground then start working your way backwards from the flasher 'til you find +12. keep the kill switch off so you don't burn out a coil or the points.

Back