1975 Engine Help!

TJLXR200R

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok, so just bought a 1975 XS650B with a title for short money. Motors locked up from sitting for 20+ years. pulled the engine and tore it the top end off to inspect what is going on with the cylinders. Found the exhaust valve on the left cylinder was stuck open, and worst part is that someone a long time ago took the exhaust pipes off so even more crud and water were able to maneuver them selves into the cylinder. my question is what do you guys suggest as my next step. I'd like to turn this bike into a bobber and keep costs down, should i replace just the sleeves and pistons? or go spend the extra money on the big bore kit from mikes? or just find another engine all together? thanks

No one can advise you on how much to spend.

You need to find out the cost of a re-bore, (or new sieves if needed), or second hand barrels and new pistons against the cost of the 750 kit.

All costings can be done through MikesXS, Cruzinimage or others that may be mentioned by other posters

Re-bore costs vary from place to place.

Well alls not bad you got extra parts.
To just do the head (remove & replace Valves)at a shop could be upwards to $500.00
Big bore kit is about $650.00 Set of used jugs and new pistons without bore $300.00
Now you don't even know if crank and trans are good.
Your best bet is find a good used motor. Sometimes buying low is what you get for your money its a gamble. Sounds like you are going to put some good money into this project.

Back