1975 fuel line removal

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have old probably stock fuel lines and want to install filters while I'm at it
Do I need to remove the air filter boxes and the pipe between them just to get at the fuel lines ?
Or am I missing an easier way I cant even see where they connect to the carbs to be able to disconnect the fuel lines from the carbs cause there so buried in there
And has anyone removed the plastic (look damn brittle ) nipples from the bottom of the carb bowls (must be for over flow fuel lines ?)

I don’t remember how old your bike is. On the late models, the fuel line goes from the tank then to a tee down between the carburetors, so off with the air boxes. If you’re replacing all of the lines, you’ll need the boxes off for any of them.

Yes, you need to remove the air boxes.
Do NOT pull on the fuel lines. You risk pulling the brass nipples out of the carb bodies (if that happens, it is not the end of the world, just an inconvenience). Instead, cut and peel off the old lines. I don't think I've ever used heat, but that would help.
Was watching some car show just a couple days ago, and they mentioned that you should cut and peel off your car's heater hoses where the go into the heater core at the firewall. You probably need to replace them anyway, and if you pull on them you risk damaging the heater core.

I don’t remember how old your bike is. On the late models, the fuel line goes from the tank then to a tee down between the carburetors, so off with the air boxes. If you’re replacing all of the lines, you’ll need the boxes off for any of them.
It's a 75 so I guess it's time to wrestle the air boxes out (slow and easy) never thought about peeling of the fuel lines
I don't want to cut too deep (don't want to put a scar or scratch on the nipples) so just cut most of the way through
Thanks guys as always

It's a 75 so I guess it's time to wrestle the air boxes out (slow and easy)
I'm going to cross feed the fuel lines to get a little more room to put the filters in (right petcock to left carb left petcock to right carb)

I have old probably stock fuel lines and want to install filters while I'm at it
Do I need to remove the air filter boxes and the pipe between them just to get at the fuel lines ?
Or am I missing an easier way I cant even see where they connect to the carbs to be able to disconnect the fuel lines from the carbs cause there so buried in there
And has anyone removed the plastic (look damn brittle ) nipples from the bottom of the carb bowls (must be for over flow fuel lines ?)

I think the air boxes on your ‘75 are probably the same as on my ‘77. I think you’re probably going to find it easier to get your carbs off the bike and on the bench where it’s easy to work on. There’s a lot of trying to guess the right length of hoses to cut and trying to figure out the best routing, I just think it’s easier to do on the bench, because you’re right, there’s no room to work in there. To get the hoses off the plastic nipples ( yes they’re overflow ) heat them up, it’ll soften the hoses, and carefully wiggle them off.
By the way, I know you’ve already got fuel line, but 2M put me on to this stuff, it’s the easiest fuel line to work with, it’s super flexible and stays that way, it’s nice and stretchy, you can slide it on a fitting and it doesn’t even need a clamp.
B25A6825-173F-41C6-B2EF-25C728EAB14E.jpeg

I think the air boxes on your ‘75 are probably the same as on my ‘77. I think you’re probably going to find it easier to get your carbs off the bike and on the bench where it’s easy to work on. There’s a lot of trying to guess the right length of hoses to cut and trying to figure out the best routing, I just think it’s easier to do on the bench, because you’re right, there’s no room to work in there. To get the hoses off the plastic nipples ( yes they’re overflow ) heat them up, it’ll soften the hoses, and carefully wiggle them off.
By the way, I know you’ve already got fuel line, but 2M put me on to this stuff, it’s the easiest fuel line to work with, it’s super flexible and stays that way, it’s nice and stretchy, you can slide it on a fitting and it doesn’t even need a clamp.
View attachment 188188
I have the tygon fuel lines and filters so off come the air boxes
Once there off maybe I'll take the carbs off too, either way the job has to be done

I just replaced my fuel lines and inline filters on my 75. I saw a trick in another thread that turned out pretty well. I bought some clear 3/16 and 1/4” ID tubing for a lawn mower. I cut little 1/4” “collars” out of the larger tube and slid them over the 3/16 line instead of using clamps. A little heat and hemostats made quick work of it.
0B1306A0-38A8-4B3E-94BF-88B2FDFBD596.jpeg 8C585D1F-0D7E-40E6-B84A-FF0A4059D95F.jpeg AF023F45-7D88-4006-9E78-474A905600BC.jpeg

Got the line and filters in there nice and snug and slipped the “collars” down over the nipples to help keep them in place. Worked out very well given the tight quarters in there.
79BD22FC-C7A0-4F1A-B53D-1BA60FFA1D49.jpeg 7ABB762B-3333-4ABB-A495-E49967F6BAFC.jpeg

I just replaced my fuel lines and inline filters on my 75. I saw a trick in another thread that turned out pretty well. I bought some clear 3/16 and 1/4” ID tubing for a lawn mower. I cut little 1/4” “collars” out of the larger tube and slid them over the 3/16 line instead of using clamps. A little heat and hemostats made quick work of it.
View attachment 188349 View attachment 188350 View attachment 188351

Got the line and filters in there nice and snug and slipped the “collars” down over the nipples to help keep them in place. Worked out very well given the tight quarters in there.
View attachment 188352 View attachment 188353
Nice tip. Did you heat the 1/4” to slide it over the 3/16”?

View attachment 188349 View attachment 188350 View attachment 188351

View attachment 188352 View attachment 188353

That’s a pretty neat trick!

I guess that might be the direction I might go cool idea
Thanks !!

If you want another idea, you do not need the second petcock open to fuel the carbs even at speed. You could plug one of the carb feeds down close to a carb and have more room to work with just one feed line and filter. Leave the unused petcock in place on off or put a short piece of blocked hose on it.

Back