1975 XS650 93 original miles for $5,500 is it worth it?

xsenergy

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I've wanted a XS650 for about 10 years, I've owned a couple old japanese street bikes and a couple new ones over the last decade but now I'm ready for something different and It's time for the XS. I found an all original 1975 (basically a show bike) with 93 original miles. Second and current owner bought the bike from the son of the first owner who passed away and he never rode it? Current owner works at a family owned car dealership an hour north of town and has recently changed the oil and rode it about 12 miles. He says it runs like it's brand new. Seems odd that someone would buy a bike and not ride it. What do you guys think any issues with a bike that just sat for 50 years and was hardly used? What should I expect to need to do to get it ready for daily use? Seller is asking $5,500.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 11.13.34 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 11.13.34 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 145
I'm not trying to change you mind about this bike, but I looked at it for another member on this forum. It's a nice bike, but it has some rust (surface?) and the right muffler is dented pretty good. I told him that I thought someone changed the speedo's mileage (and how to check for that) or the PO found a OEM speedo on the net. It starts well and the engine is quite. It looks like the tank was re-cleared, but you can feel the decals, so it's a great job.
He's a very nice man who buys bikes off an auction site.
EDIT: it shows more mileage than the speedo reads. It also came with 2 into one exhaust and another dented muffler. The license plate shows a1987 renewal, if I remember correctly.

I'm not trying to change you mind about this bike, but I looked at it for another member on this forum. It's a nice bike, but it has some rust (surface?) and the right muffler is dented pretty good. I told him that I thought someone changed the speedo's mileage (and how to check for that) or the PO found a OEM speedo on the net. It starts well and the engine is quite. It looks like the tank was re-cleared, but you can feel the decals, so it's a great job.
He's a very nice man who buys bikes off an auction site.
EDIT: it shows more mileage than the speedo reads. It also came with 2 into one exhaust and another dented muffler. The license plate shows a1987 renewal, if I remember correctly.
Hey thanks for the Insight! Yeah I think i'll pass. I don't need a bike this clean anyways. I think i'll keep looking for something cheaper.

Depends on your location.

Motorbike prices have tanked in the last year.

What sold for 6k in a week, now sits for months it seems at 3.5k.

Hasn’t stopped people from asking for the moon.

Funny what happens a when there’s no “free” money.

There are a lot of flaky things associated with this bike. I am the member that MrBultaco went and inspected the bike on behalf of (thank you again sir, I appreciate it 👍).

I knew many of the pics the seller sent me ahead of time made things look suspect, particularly the mileage vs wear and the frame VIN decal...it appeared to have been removed/torn and re-applied in totally incorrect location, etc.

Just too many red-flags associated with it, in my opinion anyway.

This sounds like the one I was looking at in Longmont CO. Is that correct? I suspect so as the mileage matches and I did see dent in the pics.
Thank for the intel, may have saved me some headaches.

He lowered the price....$4900.
I told vincentfan that it looks like a bike with 5k-8K miles, not 93. I suspect a NOS speedo or a rollback by the previous owner. Right muffler is junk. Tires have 1987 date code. Some surface rust. You're in Denver, come a have a look. Seller is a nice guy with lots of other great bikes for sale.

He lowered the price....$4900.
I told vincentfan that it looks like a bike with 5k-8K miles, not 93. I suspect a NOS speedo or a rollback by the previous owner. Right muffler is junk. Tires have 1987 date code. Some surface rust. You're in Denver, come a have a look. Seller is a nice guy with lots of other great bikes for sale.
You looked at it correct? DO you think it is worth it at $4.9k or closer to $4.4 ?

Yeah, I saw it. Go look at it, ride it (I didn't). Look inside the gas tank, don't know what the white stuff is around the filler hole. Explore under, around, kick tires and slam doors.😎
A m/c is worth what someone will pay...different strokes for different folks as they say. I'm not looking for another one.
Good luck.

Back