1975 XS650 Caliper/Brake pipe

I'd buy the line from them. If you don't already own a good quality tube flaring kit, you probably don't have enough use for one to justify the cost. If you will never need it a gain, it ain't worth it. You can spend close to 100 bucks trying to make it yourself, or just go ahead and buy it and save the money for something else. It would not be hard to form that line (especially out of 5052-O tubing, which is what that looks like) if ya had the tools and the materials laying around, but you'll burn a third of the price of the line in gas just getting the material together, plus the cost of the flaring kit.

Are the old line(steel) meant to be replaced or they can be reused?
I too agree that, it cheaper to buy from a vendor, but my first concern is mentioned above. If the hard lines can be reused, and they won't effect the affect the braking performance, I see little use of new lines.

If they are rusty and pitted, they can be very brittle. Your call. They are awfully affordable, and, you know, stop the bike and stuff.....

Don't understand why you would go to the expense of SS hoses and then try to get by on the cheap on the crossover pipes.

Agreed. Will replace them as well. Wish he offers both(upper & lower), as of now only lower pipe is listed on the website.

Why not run braided to the calliper?

Posted via Mobile

You would need a pretty small banjo bolt, but I think that's about the size that's on a Gold Wing 1800 rear shock.

Interesting idea, but I doubt if it would be less expensive. If there are 4 lines total, it might be time to consider getting a flaring kit and some fittings. If you do it yourself, you can get all tricky with it and use copper tubing and shine it up like a new penny!

Thought of it running direct to caliper, but I 'll end up losing front brake switch. Moreover its a restoration project.
I will avoid DIY with it, rather rust a Pro when it comes to Brakes.

Cheers!

I think if you took the steel line to a parts store you might find one the same length and with the right threaded fittings on each end.
Most of the after market brake line people sell adapters that a braided stainless line onto and that thread in where the steel line does.
Then use an upper and lower braided stainless lines.
Leo

Back