For Sale - 1975 xs650, restored and tuned by mechanic 4000 obo

novajams

XS650 Member
Reaction score
1975 xs650 I restored this with friend of mine, then after the restoration had a long time yamaha mechanic go over and fine tune the engine. She runs like a champ sad to have to sell her, but financial isssues persist.

please find picture attached, the this bike is real and not spam. I would not sell it if it wasnt a financial need.

I dont know what your trying to say, but if you were here you would be welcome to come see it and hear what an xs650 sounds like.

Attachments

• xs650a.jpg
    xs650a.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 179
two more pictures, the lucky next owner wont be disappointed.

Attachments

• xs650b.JPG
    xs650b.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 141
  • xs650c.JPG
    xs650c.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 141
Was your first post and an add without any information or pics and you had a price. Why would i take it serious

My presumption was that serious buyers would ask the specific questions. Yes the tank was taken off tumbled then lined. the tank and side covers have been repainted back to the factory starfire black with metal flake. the oil in the forks have been changed. the tree has tapered bearings. The bushings have been replaced with Brass bushings. all the gaskets have been replaced as well as the filters. all the fuel lines, carburetor lines, and brake lines have been replaced. Spent well over a thousand just in parts from Mikes XS putting this Motorcycle to the glory it deserves. Took it all the way down to the frame and painted it in POR 15 black frame. throttle cables, and clutch cable all new. Original Mukini Carburetors rebuilt. Like I said previously tuned and timed by a professional mechanic. Original Aluminum shoulder wheels, with new Dunlop tires, I did go with modern tires for rideablilty. Has the original handle bars with the hide away wiring. New Master Cylinder, and the front brakes rebuilt. has new pads and new shoes in the back drum.

Serious Buyers feel free to ask, if you would like a picture of some part in detail please let me know.

I thought i said it under my namer tag,

The bike is in Northern Virginia about 30 miles from DC.

I havent seen any xs650 that you can buy and not have to do anything to for 2000. Sorry it is hard for me to appreciate your advice when you have not seen the bike. This is a nicely restored daily rider, that always gets complements. first kick everytime. I thought this was a group of xs650 appreciators. I not only appreciate the xs650 I brought it back. I didnt bob it or chop it.

I havent seen any xs650 that you can buy and not have to do anything to for 2000. Sorry it is hard for me to appreciate your advice when you have not seen the bike. This is a nicely restored daily rider, that always gets complements. first kick everytime. I thought this was a group of xs650 appreciators. I not only appreciate the xs650 I brought it back. I didnt bob it or chop it.
Most of the "restoration " of your bike is just repairs and what most of us do to maintain our bikes . If I bought your bike I would still have to spend a bunch of money on it . Don't get me wrong, I like your bike and I think XSs are under-priced /under-valued as a rule . I hope you do get $4000 for it , but from what I have seen them sell for I think it would be tough to get that .

This bike is worth every Penny, and is an amazing deal for $4000.00 the insurance appraised it for $4800.00 to replace.

Anyone looking for a daily riding vintage XS650 would be happy for a restored needs nothing XS650 in this shape, all receipts and books and extra parts go with this bike.

j

If I were you I would just commission the insurance people to (try and) sell it for $4800 as they appraised and if they manage to do that they get to keep 800$. $4000 to your pocket. Less hassle and everyone is happy if it comes true.

Make no mistake your bike is a very nice example but at that asking price you'd find the majority of this specific community'd rather source a junk part bike for $100-200 then spend 6 months (or more) of their life and god-knows-how-much-more dollars (probably even exceed $4000) to restore/bob/chop/whatever to their liking and 'research findings' (I would probably do the same).

However, at a different target market your price might as well just fit right in (old millionaire pensioners who have a streak of bad luck scoring nice Triumphs or Nortons for 2-3 times more your asking for the XS, they might settle out of desperation?)

Who knows, economics is an odd subject.

Tough crowd here but then they all know pretty much every thing about the XS.

Here in Aus i would say you would get that for the bike. In the US from what i'v seen it would be right place right time.

Replacing gaskets hints at engine work, nun stated, so have you done any, and if so what and did you replace the cam chain?

Watch what they are going for on EBay which is where they go for the highest price.
It will give you an idea where the market price is for your bike.
Restoration is very expensive if your bike has been completely rebuild with everything done $4000 is obtainable.
If the bike is only dressed up then that price will not be fetched.
I like the 75 and I have one myself to restore back to new condition.
That price to do is not short of $4000 not including a new set of OME Pipes and mufflers.
Good luck with the sale Novajams.
Ian

Last edited:
It is true that you've brought your bike to a forum dedicated to do-it-yourself types and it's obvious from the reaction of these guys that it's not the best marketplace for it. Your best bet is advertising it locally on craigslist, newspapers or bulletin boards at motorcycle shops, markets, etc. And word of mouth is the best form of advertising. You're living in or near one of the highest income areas in the U.S. (our rulers don't come cheap) and four grand is pocket change to a lot of those bozos. Get the word out!

If you don't have any luck locally, try advertising it on CycleTrader (www.cycletrader.com) where a basic ad with a few photos is free but for $10 you can add a bunch of photos and a video. Most of the sellers are dealers so a private party prices usually look pretty good to buyers. Another, more costly, classic bike venue is Walneck's (http://www.walnecks.com/ ) but your ad is published in a hard copy magazine sold on newsstands and to subscribers who are probably more serious.

Speaking of photos, your chances of selling the bike (anywhere) will be improved by taking high resolution pictures including close-ups, of just the motorcycle (no clutter, no scenery unless it makes the bike look better). I find the best time of day to take pictures of bikes is toward dusk when the light is softer but still bright enough to show off the gloss of the paint and chrome.

Final point regarding national advertising: most prospective buyers will be looking at $500-750 shipping expense on top of your asking price. I see bikes all the time that I would buy in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the shipping cost. Well, and that I wouldn't see the bike in the flesh until it arrived. You might have to adjust your price or negotiate something on shipping to attract a long distance buyer.

Good luck,

Bill

Back