1976 Running Rich

This stuff should be fine to repair threads for the float bowl.

image.jpg

It works for me.

View attachment 251366

It works for me.
Was sort-of aware of this type of product but your suggestion for this carb repair prompted me to look into it. Available in the UK, fairly expensive at thirty quid a pop. But when you think of the potential for what it can save it's probably a bargain. Found a couple sites selling it and there were good reviews from car & motorbike enthusiasts who used it and are happy with the results.

Not gonna run out and buy the kit today - too often in the past I've kept sealing compounds or adhesives for garage or home use and had to fling 'em cause, come the day, gone rock solid. But will bear in mind for the day when a job arises that needs a thread remade.

I just stumbled across a youtube video on this stuff, I have done a similar thread repair using JB Weld and spraying the bolt with WD40 or silicone, I got 8-36 (I had thought it was 8-32 but found that thread again) screws and a bottoming tap so I'll put those in.

View attachment 251366

It works for me.

Got my carb body drilled and tapped for 8-36 x 1/2" screws, got new bowl gaskets. I also invested in a 6 liter ultrasonic cleaner and cleaned them at 80 C for an hour, I had cleaned them manually and feel like I got them pretty clean but figured I'd get lots of use out of it, I used 1 part dawn dish soap to 8 parts water (my wife also used it for some jewelry). They came out nice, not shiny but clean. I made a gauge to set the float height while I had the carbs off and upside down. I also check the actual fuel height before I installed them, right at the bottom of the carb body.

Current setup:

130 mains
27.5 pilots
Needle 1 step lean (second notch from the top)

I had a hell of a time getting it started, which obviously filled me with joy after all of this careful work, but I kept at it, it was running horribly cold, could barely keep it running choke or not, I kept up for 2 or 3 minutes and it got better and would run on it's own off choke. I think there may have been some water/dawn still hiding somewhere in there. I let it warm up and adjusted the left mixture screw, not sure where I was at, but turning it in a half turn bumped the rpms at idle about 300-400 from where it was, I reset it at 1200-1300 and adjusted a little more, it is around 1 1/2 out now, the right side was pretty good where it was. Idling very smooth. I went out and rode it a few blocks, no low end stumble at all, nice roll-on right up from almost nothing. Runs great all through the rpm range. I let it sit til noon, started right up on choke, idled nice, about a minute on choke and turned that off, idled nice off choke as well. I ran to the gas station and it stumbled a couple times on the way there, but after gassing up and restarting it was back to never missing a beat from a start, It wasn't fully warmed up when I left the house. I'm always hesitant to declare victory, but the low end, off-idle response is like it was when I first got it running, everything is very smooth and it seems to even pull harder in that 5000-6000 range. I am guessing the ultrasonic cleaner got something out of there, definitely different and better. Feels like the jetting is right (until I mess with something, like head pipes). I swear I'm leaving it alone and just riding it for the rest of the season (what little there is, trees are shedding here already).

Well congrats, sounds like you finally got those carbs "sorted". They seem to be acting as they should, running well with the usual jetting, needle setting, and mix screw setting that you normally need for minor mods. Yes, maybe there was some crud left in them and the ultrasonic cleaning got it out.

Well congrats, sounds like you finally got those carbs "sorted". They seem to be acting as they should, running well with the usual jetting, needle setting, and mix screw setting that you normally need for minor mods. Yes, maybe there was some crud left in them and the ultrasonic cleaning got it out.
Its definitely better, a "smoother" feel though out the rpm range. I have all of my stuff to add TCI ignition with the GN250 module, I'm planning in leaving the points/coils installed for now, i'll unplug the power to the old coils and run power to the module from there. I'm looking at mounting the coil under the seat and I may utilize the tool box for the module (I carry more tools than fit in that box). I need to build my harness and mount the module and coil.

Put on about 75 miles on back roads, several stop signs, 60-65 mph when moving. It starts and warms up much better, still stumble off idle for a couple miles or so when first riding after startup, once past that, never missed a beat or stumbled off a stop sign. The idle is running around 1000-1100, a little low but I left it for now, just to keep an eye out for the stumble. Running great, no mid stumble either, super nice backroad ride.

Yes, the '76-'77 carb set with that large Z-8 needle jet give wonderful midrange performance, about the best of any 650 carb set.

Back