For Sale - 1977 D? in NY

The owner of this bike lives about 5 miles from me. He told me it is titled as a 1972, so there is a red flag. And it has the wrong handlebars for being "bone stock".

Thanks danno. I wish I had a quarter for every "bone stock" or "mint" motorcycle that I ever went to look at that turned out to be less than advertised...........BG

The 77 is still a very nice bike. I just don't like the title snafu. There is also a nice 76c in Auburn that was listed on Syracuse craigslist on February 13th.

Last edited:
The 77 is still a very nice bike. I just don't like the title snafu. .

In NY state all vehicles 1973 or newer need a title. 1972 or older just need the registration. Somehow this guy got hold of a registration from a 1972 bike and pulled a fast one on the NY DMV :wtf:. Quite possibly the numbers on the frame dont match the registration unless he had enough sense to change them or he changed them on the registration to match the bike. The red flag is definately up on this one.........BG

A title is acceptable proof that you are ,indeed, the owner. Registration is that the ve-hicle is a legal ve-hicle,& that it, at time of registration, was safe for the road, Also used to trace you down , when you fall off the bike dead drunk, taking down your neighbor's fence. Most state's now require a title to register the ve-hicle, if they have a 17 digit vin.:banghead::banghead::mad::wtf::shrug:

Before 1973 the state only issued a registration slip (pink slip) that you carried in your vehicle as proof when the cops pulled you over that you were the owner of the vehicle. You also could sell that vehicle and the new owner had no way of knowing if you, the previous owner had a bank loan against that vehicle till he registered it and the bank then came to him looking for payment. If the new owner didnt come up with the money due, the bank repossed the vehicle and the new owner was the loser and he had to then chase down the previous owner who in most cases was long gone with his money.
Beginning in 1973 in NY a title was issued and necessary for each vehicle registered. Without a title your vehicle dont get registered. On that title was listed any liens against that vehicle and before the vehicle could be sold or registered to the new owner, proof of a lien release was necessary from the bank. If the seller says it has a clear title that means all liens against the vehicle have been settled....... BG

I"m in central NY and have a bike without a title,other than going through a title company and paying 200 bucks it's pretty tough to get a title here in NY;I recently spoke to a DMV person and she mentioned a bonded title which I'm not familiar with,have you NY guys ever heard of this???Also I love all these people on Craigslist without titles asking high prices for their bikes and trying to tell u it"s no big deal to get a title for em.

As a fellow CNY resident, I am unfamiliar with the "bonded title", but I am interested. This could potentially save me a lot of grief. I would be curious about the cost of the bonded title. I used ITS, and it was about $175. Good service and about a 3.5 week turnaround. Yeah, a bike without a title is pretty much useless. However, some bikes are worth the hassle if the initial price is reasonable, and the bike is in above average condition.

Getting a bonded title probably means getting a surety bond for the title for 1.5 times the value of the bike (1.5 is for Wisconsin, other states may be different). That way if someone comes forward later with proof that they are the rightful owner of the bike they get 1.5 times the value of the bike. In Wisconsin, you have to send in pictures of the bike and they determine the value from that. The bad part is, not only do you have pay the premium for the bond, but if someone were to come forward, you'd have to pay the amount of the bond and also any legal fees the bonding company incurred. The premium you pay is just a fee for the bonding company basically.

That's how I understand it anyway. $175 for ITS sounds pretty good at that point. All you need is insurance, a notarized bill of sale, and notarized power of attorney, and a few weeks later you get a license plate in the mail from the state of Maine and a yellow registration slip. It's as if you actually went to Maine to register the bike. They use the power of attorney to fill out the forms in your name for the Maine registration.

Thanks, Travis. I agree; knowing that my bike is MINE to ride or sell does seem well worth the fees charged by the title service(s). BTW awesome job with this site! ! !
Do you ever sleep?

Thanks danno. Yeah I have a lot on my plate right now. Seems like I always do. No wonder my XS650 project never gets finished!

Back