1977 XS650 Bobber Build

Is that motor paint or powder coat

The jugs, heads and crankcase are VHT Satin Barrell Paint. Side covers are powder.

Powder looks great! Bet you're itching to get the tins on.

Kent

You have no idea! Hoping to get a call sometime this week. Decided to go with a factory Toyota color (Spruce Mica). I think it'll go good with all the black.

toyotacamry076v403.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just wanted to try and document some of my first build. Been browsing the forum for about two months now and have learned a ton. Picked up this beauty in February. Non running for 100 bucks. The first project is the motor. Just finished up the paint, powdercoat, and polishing. All the work other than the carbs were done by myself and a buddy. Carburetors we rebuilt by Rick at OLDSKOOLCARBS, who did a awesome job. Waiting on a few more parts and it'll be ready to completely go back together. Then on to the frame........

First day home

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dsc01593mp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pic's of the motor almost complete

<<<UPDATE 7/11/11>>>

This has been a slow process but ide like to keep this thread updated. Gotten several things done in the past few months....

-TCbros Hardtail
-TCbros neck gussets
-Hughs Handbuilt Shaved Front Forks (lowered 1")
-Wheels powdercoated and SS Mikexs Spokes
-Firestone Rear Tire/Avon Front

Still a longs ways off but nice to post some actual progress....Next up is seat, battery/electrical boxes and rear fender!

dsc01818k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

dsc01822wj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

dsc01821p.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

dsc01820i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

More updates on Page 2.....

That motor is fantastic! Nice work. :thumbsup:

Hey quick question, im gonna be doin my motor in the same style except in all gloss but im curious in what order you sprayed the jugs/head if you did it all then sanded and polished or if you polished before you sprayed and just cleaned it up?

Thanks!
Tom

Hey quick question, im gonna be doin my motor in the same style except in all gloss but im curious in what order you sprayed the jugs/head if you did it all then sanded and polished or if you polished before you sprayed and just cleaned it up?

Thanks!
Tom

Motor fins were sanded and polished prior to paint. Jugs, head, and bottom end were all painted separate. Then the the paint was removed from the fins with paint thinner and q-tips. Let me tell ya, it was loads of fun lol :(

Dang... ok because i just painted all the fins and in theory i was going to just use a flat sanding block on the fin edges then polish it that way. i guess if it doesnt work ill just have to start over!

Thanks!

Looks hot man, really quality build.

Just get rid of those red filters they detract from the bike badly, go black or chrome.

Good show bike for you business.

Build looks great! I know this is a little random detail. Can you tell me more about your phone/bar setup? I'm assuming you're using that as your speedometer as well? Thanks!

Kent

Back