1979 650 yamaha ignition.

electrical majic

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 1979 yamaha 650 engine.....it is a points engine...... do i still need some sort of electronic ignition or some sort of an ignighter ?

No, just the points sets and a condenser pack. Also two 4 ohm coils.

so what would be the complete wiring system to run that engine in a buggy..... less any other thing like lighting.

just the motor....... i thank you !
Battery, ignition switch, starter solenoid, starter, coils, points, condenser, plug wires and caps, and plugs.
electrical majic.... :rolleyes:...;)

Interesting, an xs650 buggy, any pictures?
Did you get the whole bike or just engine?

You'll need to make the charging system work too or the battery will go dead, and this bike needs the battery to run. The ignition draws off it when the revs are low. So that means you'll need the regulator and rectifier.

Interesting, an xs650 buggy, any pictures?
Did you get the whole bike or just engine?
well if i had got the whole bike i would have restored it to new..... i just got the engine....in good shape.

my main idea is to actually re-manufacture new engines atogether.

all new 650 yamahas that have no transmission & run with the snowmobile type belt drive systems.

this is what i have long planned for years.

i will after researching this engine ..... return it to new statis.

and use what i have learned to make new engines...... imagine the new engine with no big clutch [all removed] & super light weight.

custom machined crank case, etc.

that is the big plan for this engine .

You'll need to make the charging system work too or the battery will go dead, and this bike needs the battery to run. The ignition draws off it when the revs are low. So that means you'll need the regulator and rectifier.
what if i use an alternator and wire the system to that instead of the original charging system.... which would be removed altogether ?

the alternator is a big improvement for any cycle engine...... the stator in a regular cycle system tends to over heat and burn up the wiring on the stator.....

to use an alternator is a positive way to go with the application i plan for the engine and the new engines...... a geo metro altenator is not much bigger than ones hand and it puts out 55 - 110 amps of electric juice..... the honda gullwing has a site where they change out the stator system for the geo metro car alternator.
its smooth sailing with that installment !

There is an alternator on the motor already, but like most, it needs a regulator to regulate it's output and a rectifier to convert that AC output to DC. Pretty much any alternator you used would need these things.

This motor (and bike) uses a 3 phase automotive style alternator, not what you're talking about (a PMA).

There is an alternator on the motor already, but like most, it needs a regulator to regulate it's output and a rectifier to convert that AC output to DC. Pretty much any alternator you used would need these things.

This motor (and bike) uses a 3 phase automotive style alternator, not what you're talking about (a PMA).
the difference is that i plan to use this motor for all kinds of vehicles, snow mobiles, jet skis, buggys etc..........

actually this alternator is used to keep charge in the battery.... there is no other charging system.....and it can be wired for a regular xs650 wiring system.

its like the gold wing.... they completely remove the old stator system & install the small in size geo metro car alternator into the belt drive system..... it works !

As far as the new engines are concerned they will have a crank case made out of a verity of materials.... all new crank cases will be machined out of a tube, that tubing will be aluminum, magneisum etc.

the crank case will be of 2 halfs ..... the reason for that is because the crank with the rods attached cannot just be installed into the crank case .....the crank has to be fitted into 1 of the halfs & the other half is then placed on the other and bolted together...... very clean and easy way to assemble the SUPER BEEFED UP crank case.

this assembly is made to be friendly, all of the electrical components (the points) & automatic clutch fit right on the crankshaft ends......very people friendly

all of the mounts for the starter and the actual motor mounts that bolt to the VARIABLE use applications..... these engines can be bolted up to anything, snowmobile, jet ski jet, small boats go-carts and motorcycles.

THE PRICE IS........
$ 475.00, complete valves adjusted & ready to run less carb / carbs.

that is for all new crank, new cylinders, pistons, cams, valves ........a complete engine. ..... [ less carb / carbs ].

a new engine..... no part of each engine will have ever been run before.

there are a verity of engine types.....
you can attach a gearbox.
the engine can be RE-PHASED for a smoother running engine.
the engine can be turbo charged or supercharged.... and run on fuel, the crank case is SUPER BEEFY & will take most H.P. upgrades.
very simple assembly & dis-assembly.
light weight.
can be upgraded ( thanks to the "SUPER BEEFY" SOLID BILLET crank case ) to an 1100cc monster !

this 650 twin can be connected together 1 in front of the other for a sort of square 4 application......both engines are bolted up to a steel plate and bolted up to a gearbox or to the snowmobile type belt drive..... this application allows for over 100 H.P.+

only the absolute quality materials that the world has to offer are used in the manufacturing of these great old yamaha engines..... its a whole new engine.

traditional or custom hear fins are also available...... the customer can make the fins look like a bee hive or stock yamaha..... or just about anything else.

these new 650s will vertually last forever with inexpensive available parts to rebuild with ..... pistons, cylinders sleeves, valves and replaceable valve guides, crank rebuild kits, etc,etc.

in the future a bolt together crank will be available with splines machined into all crank halfs .........NO MORE GUESS WORK OF USING A PRESS TO DIS-ASSEMBLE & ASSEMBLE THE CRANK..........it is all splined & bolted together and locked into place..... all register marks are used to assemble the new cranks and are fail safe to assemble......just align the marks & bolt it up.

this is a new company & we will have (**at the right price)... accessorys ..........including tuned exhaust, big bore kits......are there little bore kits for a smaller engine size ?........if they do we will have them.....all of our products are made by our company ..... no outside parts are used with the exception of PISTONS, BEARINGS, FASTENERS, SCREWS, NUTS & BOLTS, DRIVE GEARS, VALVES & VALVE GUIDES, SPARK PLUGS, TIMING CHAIN & GUIDES, OIL PUMP, STARTER, (in the future we will build our own heavy duty starters at ( again ) a low low price.

what this company does is basically build the cases that all of the yamaha parts fit into and onto......... only 100% more beefy & much more stronger.

there are some other secrets to the engine that will remain concealed at this time.......
we do build our crank cases & complete engines to fit stock xs650 frames & a gearbox can be used with these new engines.

heavy duty motor mounts are welded onto the crank case...... customer requested type of motor mounts.

not one of our company engines will be sold with any electronic ignition. all will be points motors.... customer can add his own kind of electronic ign.

we also mfg. single carb. manifolds for the single carb. application.....included in the basic cost.....customer choice of single or dual carbs.

the engine is configured to be thin......less than 1 foot in width.

the engine sprocket is of course standard and can be changed to a custom tooth size at will.

the basic configuration engine.....stock with no upgrades comes complete with starter and everything to run the engine with.....
( does not include the clutch or a gearbox ).

Back