For Sale - 1979 Special (modified) "Miesha"

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
I'm just going to link to the build thread to try to show you what kind of "blood, sweat and tears" that has gone into this bike over the last 2.5 years.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/miesha-build-thread.48166/

I never thought I'd even consider letting her go, but another "internal combustion adventure" has presented itself that has made me consider my options. At the end of the day garage space is limited after all.

No worries. "Smurfette", the 1978 Standard isn't even close to done yet.

There are 2 items I haven't gotten to over the last few years: Steering neck bearings and swingarm bushings. Once those 2 are done I would consider this bike 100% gone through short of opening up the engine which I never saw a need for considering how sweet she purrs.

If you are up to it, I have the parts for both updates on my workbench and can throw them in.

Look through the 9 pages of build to see everything I have done. If you see something I changed and changed back that you prefer, chances are I have it on my shelves since I still have a build going on. Let me know and we can figure it out.

Get me somewhere close to $4,000 for the bike. Significantly less and I'll just keep parking my car outside and keep nostalgia alive :)

I live in South Charlotte, NC but will be reasonable with delivery options.

I'm just going to paste my Craigslist info in here in case someone wants to take a gander.

Would love to see this thing stay with someone on the boards.

1979 Yamaha XS650 Special. 10,250 miles on the odometer.

I have spent the last 2.5 years building this bike and have enjoyed it thoroughly. It has been gone through from front to back. The only thing I didn’t do was crack the engine open because of how well she runs, I did not see the need.

The bike is registered and I ride it usually every Sunday.

Another gasoline related opportunity just presented itself to me so I’m considering letting her go.

Here is a list of some of the work I have done over the last few years (in no particular order):

· New wheel bearings

· Wheels blasted and powder coated

· New dual-sport tires / tubes

· Forks rebuilt

· New head pipes and mufflers

· PMA charging system

· PAMCO electronic ignition w/ dual-output coil

· Replaced rubber cylinder head washers w/ copper and re-torqued cylinder head to spec

· Tracker handlebars w/ new grips

· Digital voltmeter in headlight

· Trickle charger

· New throttle & clutch cables

· New clutch pushrod seal

· Valve lash adjusted June 2018

· Virago handlebar clamps

· Aluminum headlight brackets

· Front brake caliper rebuilt w/ new stainless steel hose

· New front master brake cylinder

· Rear brake caliper rebuilt w/ stainless steel hose

· Counterbalance Cycles seat w/ welded-on bracket

· Rear fender cut and welded to fit new seat

· Front fender shortened

· LED tail lamp

· Dual petcock tank replaced with single petcock tank from a 1980 model

o Tank cleaned w/ vinegar for 1 week. Inside is clean and free of rust

o If you prefer the old dual-petcock tank you can have it, but it needs paint and has a small dent in it.

· Vacuum petcock replaced w/ new non-vacuum type

· Carburetors rebuilt – Jetted for pod filters

· UNI Pod air filters

· Added manual headlight switch. Removed headlight relay

· Original starter kill relay replaced w/ new automotive style relay

· New fuse block

· Wiring harness simplified

· New indicator lights front/rear from Dime City Cycles

· New oil filter and sump filter

· Left side has a custom flat side cover mounted to the battery box

· Right side has the original side cover, shortened for pod air filters

o Fuse block and trickle charger adapter are located under this cover

If I still have the bike next summer, chain and sprockets will probably be the next maintenance item.

The mufflers are as close to stock sound as I think it gets. I have shorter flat-black mufflers if you prefer that look/sound. They are just a pinch louder without being obnoxious. I need to keep 1 set for my other bike though.

This bike needs nothing except the regular maintenance that comes with owning a 40-year-old motorcycle. I love this thing, but I need the garage space. If you don’t own any tools then this bike is probably not for you.

If you can see this ad it means I still have the bike. I will edit the title if sale is pending.

I do not need help selling. Scammers stay away, lowballers stay away.

Call, don’t text. P e t e r at four-one-three, 5 3 1 then two four 67.

Back