1979 XS 650 Cafe Project

wolds

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello all, I thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself and post a few pictures of my project. I purchased this bike new in 1979 and put 34k miles on her in stock "Special" form. After pondering the transformation for years I finally started on it. Had GFTP fabricate the seat, tank and 1/2 fairing for me after looking at his Norton with the same setup. Hand fabricated a kick starter to clear the Terazzi rear sets and currently working on the exhaust install which brings me to a question. I purchased from Mike's XS a set of 1-1/2" Performance XS head-pipes and some Commando mufflers. I made this purchase two years ago when I first started the project and had never gotten around to fitting the pipes to the bike. I find out that the left hand pipe does not run parallel to the frame as the right hand pipe does. I contacted Mike but haven't received a reply. Is he still in business? His website is up, but it appears no one is home. Has anyone installed these pipes and found the same problem? Warren

Attachments

• Vintage Motorcycle Show 05.29.14 003.jpg
    Vintage Motorcycle Show 05.29.14 003.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Vintage Motorcycle Show 05.29.14 001.jpg
    Vintage Motorcycle Show 05.29.14 001.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Vintage Motorcycle Show 05.29.14 002.jpg
    Vintage Motorcycle Show 05.29.14 002.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Hi, could you take a picture from the front and see weather the front is alligned. Nice bike you got there by the way. ;)

Mike's XS responded and asked me to send the pipes back to him so I've got them boxed up already. To answer your question though, when looking from the front the pipes don't mirror each other left to right. it appears to me that the issue is with the angle the pipes were bent when looking at the head end of the pipe looking straight down. The right hand pipe appears correct, but the left hand one does not. Thanks for replying to my post. Warren

I had to allign mine exhausts and just corrected them at the front.

Anyways good to hear your in progress with Mike.

left and right are different, the left has to clear the alternator cover. Pic of a 78SE/79SF front on.

Attachments

• xs650SF-4.jpg
    xs650SF-4.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 143
The problem that I have is that the LH pipe will not run parallel to the frame as the RH pipe does no matter how I adjust it. This causes issues with the alignment of the mufflers. Warren

I have the same commando system and the left pipe is not parallel. I never noticed it before you mentioned it. I doubt another set will fit any better. Another problem is getting the mufflers to align once you get the brake pedal to clear the head pipe. The only way you are going to get a perfect fit to your liking is to make your own pipes. A waste of time sending them back and expecting the replacements to fit better. Mine didn't fit at all without some modifications. :thumbsup:

I have the same commando system and the left pipe is not parallel. I never noticed it before you mentioned it. I doubt another set will fit any better. Another problem is getting the mufflers to align once you get the brake pedal to clear the head pipe. The only way you are going to get a perfect fit to your liking is to make your own pipes. A waste of time sending them back and expecting the replacements to fit better. Mine didn't fit at all without some modifications. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply. I emailed Mike and explained to him what the problem was. He replied and asked that I send them back which I just did. How long ago did you buy your pipes? Warren

Thank you for posting the pics. I've always wondered what a Ducati fairing and Commando pipes would look like on these bikes. Keep wrenching on your project. Good luck with Mikes. I'm envious of your bike. I'm going to follow this.

I'll be posting some more pictures as I go on. Once the pipes come back from Mikes I'll put up some more detailed shots of the build. I still have to fabricate some bracing for the upper rearmost corners of the fairing to keep it from flopping around. The glass work is thin to save weight, but well done by GFTP. Next up will be frenching in the tail light into the seat pan. Once that's done I'm on to controls and electrics. Warren

Back