1979 xs650 build

20200227_154147.jpg

I picked up this Suzuki savage the other day for $750
I bought it to build as a tribute bike for my friend who passed away 9 months ago on a ride
This is the same kind of bike he had just am older model

Encourage you to cut the living begeezes out of that Suzuki ! As for your 79 Special II project ?
:( may it rest in peace lol..

20200217_201111.jpg

Over the last few weeks I managed to get my jd2 model 32 bender set up
I made a cart to hold it and was able to bend up some practice bars with it
20200223_211822.jpg

I don't plan in using these in the xs650, they are currently on my yamaha roadstar but I plan on using it to make some bars for the xs, not sure which style yet

20200205_215012.jpg

I picked up a brembo p32 brake caliper on eBay for $100
Pandamonium sells a bracket to use these calipers on the xs650 if you swap the front disc onto the rear hub, i plan on making a similar design as their bracket to use on my xs650.
I just got a tevo flash 3d printer so hopefully I can use it to make some mock up parts including the caliper bracket
One thing to note if someone decides to go this route as far as the brembo calipers, Daniel at pandamonium said they have to sand down the pads a little to make them actually fit onto the rotor, It won't take much, maybe half a millimeter from each pad should work.

Seems like a 5mm thick rotor would eliminate the need to sand the pads. Later XS's and even SR500's used 5mm thick rotors. A bolt on ?

Seems like a 5mm thick rotor would eliminate the need to sand the pads. Later XS's and even SR500's used 5mm thick rotors. A bolt on ?
I will have to look into that, do you happen to know what year xs's used that size rotor? I'm not sure what year xs these mag wheels came from

20200310_124306.jpg

I ended up getting a 3d printer to make some mock up parts and just mess with in general
It was on sale and cheap enough to justify buying, so far I've just tried making simple things with it, including these mock up wheel spacers :D

Jeez time has been flying by
Being an essential worker during the covid-19 pandemic means I haven't been able to work on the xs650 that often, also my future wife walked into my life and I haven't really been paying attention to the xs....
BUT I did manage to get some stuff done to it!
I made a mock up rear brake caliper bracket (I'll upload a picture of it later)
I cut the backbone, extended it 4 inches and raked the neck to 34 degrees
I made a slug and welded it into the backbone (plug or rosette weld)
I also cut the down tubes and bent them to 30 degrees to meet the neck
Here is a picture of it mocked up
the extended backbone piece is just tacked in place for now, the downtubes are just being held in place with some magnets, I still need to make slugs for them
xs.jpg

I'm still toying with the idea of moving the seat tube back a little and kind of remaking the hardtail section but I'm not too sure yet

Being an essential worker during the covid-19 pandemic means I haven't been able to work on the xs650 that often, also my future wife walked into my life and I haven't really been paying attention to the xs..

I'm still toying

but I'm not too sure yet
Gongrats on your continued efforts in the work force through all the current pandamania.
:thumbsup:
I too have continued the work force march on and understand how the XS garage time just slips away. Maybe even faster now.
It is apparent that although you have dodged the CoviD symptoms, you have been afflicted with a different condition.
"Pw ( ° Y ° ) d" is common amongst healthy motorcyclists. I suffer the same affliction. Over and Over as there is seemingly no cure for this :geek:
Good luck with the XS !

Back