For Sale - 1979 XS650 dropseat hardtail

Focusinprogress

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've decided that while I like this bike and I had a blast throwing it together, I just really really like my cb550 and if I do a bobber again I want something bigger and smoother....basically, this is for sale and so is the XS750 triple....whichever one doesn't sell I will keep (if the XS750 triple sells first I'll just keep this, but I would rather hardtail that thing and keep it)

details:

-1979 XS650 standard

-custom drop-seat hardtail peiced together with some universal tubing and axle plates. 4" in added length/wheelbase, 2" of axle drop, 3" seat drop

-swapped to mag wheels 19F/16R and converted to a disc brake rear

-hand-bent NiCopp rear brake hardline with coiled ends connected to -3an banjo adaptors

-handmade forward controls using old wrenches as levers and a dirtbike rear master for rear brake hydraulics

-kickstarter modified for bike pedal and bent to fit tight to frame in "closed" position

-pod filters and carbs jetted to match

-2 into 1 exhaust

-tires in fair shape

-custom muffler baffle

Things I need to sort:

-electronic flasher has failed so I have to swap that out

20130614_172844_zps6c2fe34a.jpg

20130614_172950_zps657065cf.jpg

20130614_174336_zps0e3d8141.jpg

(mirrors have come off and running single bar-end mirror on left bar now)

Bike tracks straight and runs well. There's the appearance....I liked it ratty so the frame is still raw and I planned to clear it when it reached the desired patina, but if someone wanted it all cleaned up and a nice paintjob on it, I can negociate that for extra. I have a bunch of spare electrics parts in case things fail in the future, all of which are included (even replacement for the starter relay so electric start works again)

As the bike sits, I'm asking $1500 for it and am fairly firm there.....
if you care about the build, it can be viewed here:

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?230194-Focusinprogress-XS650-BOBBER-build.

video of start, ride-off, and fly-by

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/focusinprogress/media/IMG_0124_zps9694a166.mp4.html

Last edited:
Would trade for a quality working lathe, or would throw in the XS750 triple towards a quality mill.

would also trade for a 67-72 ford F100 of comparable value (I.E. not running or missing drivetrain)

small addition to the bike:

20130903_125305_zps4322e318.jpg

Luke happened to have this sticker kicking around and just felt it was suited to the bike so he gave it to me/installed it lol.

it reads: "F*ck Fresh, We ride DIRTY - N.F.G."

Last edited:
still for sale take $1200 for it?

where are you located?

I really really dislike discussing price without a potential buyer actually looking at the bike first. I'd have a hard time letting it go for $1200, but might not be as difficult if it was $100 bills waved right in my face....I'm reluctant even at $1500 because I've been having so much fun riding it....but alas, I need to put a roof on the house in before winter so it kind of HAS to go unless one of my other bikes sells first.

bump. put another 100 miles on it since last post, still a one-kick wonder. might not really have room for it over winter so I might have to let it go.

bump. put another 100 miles on it since last post, still a one-kick wonder. might not really have room for it over winter so I might have to let it go.

Man, you're as far away from me in NY as you can get..... I'd buy it but can't make the trip out. Any delivery or meet options?
-=Phyber

I've been to west orange NJ very recently....about 6hrs drive that was....how far is it from me to you? It's hard for me to kill a whole day in the car to meet halfway but if I got asking price and a hefty non-refundable deposit to load up and head out I would have a hard time not finding a way to do it.

Back