For Sale - 1980 Full blown basket case, some assembly required

Price
$1500

Byynow

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
A complete bike in pieces, plus many new parts, most were sourced from MikesXS or Yamaha. The concept for this build was a Supermoto/Motard style bike of 400 pounds or less, and 60 hp or more. Doesn't look like I will ever get to it. The bike is California registered and is in non-op status.
I believe the bike is complete but it has gone through two moves so check out the pictures and see what you get. The bike was in very good condition when disassembled, except for the alternator cover which is broken, and the engine top end which scored a piston/cylinder wall. It still ran okay but had a top end rattle,
I'll list most of the new parts and extras. I have receipts.
As you can see in the pictures I have removed the scored piston from the rod. At that time I measured the small end and found it to be slightly larger than spec. Initially I thought to replace the connecting rods but found a good used crankshaft assembly (seen in the pictures).
The frame is lightly modified. The passenger peg mounts have been removed and the rear frame extension has been cut to shorten it for a solo seat. The rear frame has not yet been welded up so it could be reconfigured to stock length. The pictures show the modification.
The gas tank has been repainted (two stage) and hasn't yet had the clear coat buffed. The stock seat is in exceptional condition.
Additionally, the handlebars are 1st gen Vmax, the throttle twist grip is FZ1, the non stock clutch lever and perch is FZ1, and a shop manual with supplements is included.

List of major new parts:

-XS Performance 750 kit (with coated pistons)
-Engine gasket set
-Shell flat track cam #
-Shell valve springs and retainers
-Valves, valve guides, valve guide install tool
-Rocker arms
-Falicon camsprockets
-Timing chain guide
-24 tooth 5th gear
-clutch pushrod
-sump filter
-Oil filter kit
-Ignition coil set
-Spark plug cables
-XS Performance tapered oval air filters
-Carb holders
-Sump filter
-Dyna rev limiter
-Carb slide diaphrams
-Bronze swing arm bushings
-Swing arm pivot shaft
-Progressive front fork springs
-XS Performance damper valves
-Chrome fork brace (Mikes XS)
-Abbreviated rear fender
-LED tail/brake light

Used parts:

-XS400 front wheel & axle (18")
-ZX6 front brake conversion kit
-90's Sportster solo seat
- 18" tire (for fitting only, aged out)
-Black carb bodys
-2 into 1 exhaust
-extra engine UNKNOWN CONDITION (the one with the top end still on)

If interested, please look at the pictures, and ask questions. I'm located in Minden, Nevada, which is about 40 miles South of Reno. I want $1500 for the lot.

IMG_0312.jpgIMG_0277.jpgIMG_0278.jpgIMG_0279.jpgIMG_0280.jpgIMG_0282.jpgIMG_0283.jpgIMG_0284.jpgIMG_0285.jpgIMG_0286.jpgIMG_0287.jpgIMG_0288.jpgIMG_0289.jpgIMG_0290.jpgIMG_0291.jpgIMG_0292.jpgIMG_0293.jpgIMG_0294.jpgIMG_0296.jpgIMG_0297.jpgIMG_0298.jpgIMG_0299.jpgIMG_0300.jpgIMG_0301.jpgIMG_0302.jpgIMG_0304.jpgIMG_0305.jpgIMG_0306.jpgIMG_0307.jpgIMG_0308.jpgIMG_0309.jpgIMG_0310.jpgIMG_0311.jpgIMG_0312.jpgIMG_0315.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be glad to send you any pictures you want, but first let me add some info that should have been in the original post. As you can see in the pictures I have removed the scored piston from the rod. At that time I measured the small end and found it to be slightly larger than spec. Initially I thought to replace the connecting rods but found a good used crankshaft assembly (seen in the pictures).
Additionally, the handlebars are 1st gen Vmax, the throttle twist grip is FZ1, the non stock clutch lever and perch is FZ1, and a shop manual with supplements is included.
Unfortunately, this site won't let me edit the narrative in the listing. Also, I had all the parts listed in neat columns but when I posted the spaces went away and it looks kinda jumbled. My listing on Reno Craigslist is better organized, if you want to look at that.
Still want pictures? I'll get you any pictures or specs you want.
* Just found out that this morning, I can edit the listing*

Last edited:
Oh gotcha. So you have a good crank? I am in need of one lol
The one in the spare engine may (?) be good. Other than looking grungy it doesn't appear to be in too bad shape. I pulled it's cam for a core for the Shell cam. As you can see, I still have the stock cam out of the original engine.

A complete bike in pieces, plus many new parts, most were sourced from MikesXS or Yamaha. The concept for this build was a Supermoto/Motard style bike of 400 pounds or less, and 60 hp or more. Doesn't look like I will ever get to it. The bike is California registered and is in non-op status.
I believe the bike is complete but it has gone through two moves so check out the pictures and see what you get. The bike was in very good condition when disassembled, except for the alternator cover which is broken, and the engine top end which scored a piston/cylinder wall. It still ran okay but had a top end rattle,
I'll list most of the new parts and extras. I have receipts.
As you can see in the pictures I have removed the scored piston from the rod. At that time I measured the small end and found it to be slightly larger than spec. Initially I thought to replace the connecting rods but found a good used crankshaft assembly (seen in the pictures).
The frame is lightly modified. The passenger peg mounts have been removed and the rear frame extension has been cut to shorten it for a solo seat. The rear frame has not yet been welded up so it could be reconfigured to stock length. The pictures show the modification.
The gas tank has been repainted (two stage) and hasn't yet had the clear coat buffed. The stock seat is in exceptional condition.

List of major new parts:

-XS Performance 750 kit (with coated pistons)
-Engine gasket set
-Shell flat track cam #
-Shell valve springs and retainers
-Valves, valve guides, valve guide install tool
-Rocker arms
-Falicon camsprockets
-Timing chain guide
-24 tooth 5th gear
-clutch pushrod
-sump filter
-Oil filter kit
-Ignition coil set
-Spark plug cables
-XS Performance tapered oval air filters
-Carb holders
-Sump filter
-Dyna rev limiter
-Carb slide diaphrams
-Bronze swing arm bushings
-Swing arm pivot shaft
-Progressive front fork springs
-XS Performance damper valves
-Chrome fork brace (Mikes XS)
-Abbreviated rear fender
-LED tail/brake light

Used parts:

-XS400 front wheel & axle (18")
-ZX6 front brake conversion kit
-90's Sportster solo seat
- 18" tire (for fitting only, aged out)
-Black carb bodys
-2 into 1 exhaust
-extra engine UNKNOWN CONDITION (the one with the top end still on)

If interested, please look at the pictures, and ask questions. I'm located in Minden, Nevada, which is about 40 miles South of Reno. I want $1500 for the lot.

View attachment 263147View attachment 263114View attachment 263115View attachment 263116View attachment 263117View attachment 263119View attachment 263120View attachment 263121View attachment 263122View attachment 263123View attachment 263124View attachment 263125View attachment 263126View attachment 263127View attachment 263128View attachment 263129View attachment 263130View attachment 263131View attachment 263132View attachment 263133View attachment 263134View attachment 263135View attachment 263136View attachment 263137View attachment 263138View attachment 263139View attachment 263140View attachment 263141View attachment 263142View attachment 263143View attachment 263144View attachment 263145View attachment 263146View attachment 263147View attachment 263148
bump