1980 xs650 Cafe - pics and video - a few issues

SpongeBobbed

650 Simpleton
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Wanted to show my 1980 Heritage Special. Bought it as a basket case and I've been tinkering with it here and there.

I've been working on another 650 for a while, so I wanted something that I wouldn't have to do any serious fab work to. Put new fairing, seat, lights, covers, shocks, etc. rebuilt the bs34 carbs.

Ran great until I took it on a 200 mile run. Here are the things that have recently popped up:

- randomly loses power. The green neutral lights normally pops on when I turn the key right. Since I've taken it on the ride, power only comes on periodically when I turn the key. Starter power has also seemed to go kaput. Obviously some electrical issue.

- rear led taillight is blinking every 2 seconds for no apparent reason. It's not connected to the flasher in any way that I can tell.

- shuts off instantly after choke is disengaged. Once this happens it also loses all power.

- leaks a crazy amount of oil! Nothing when I'm cruising around town, but if I have it going all out for any longer than half hour, oil seems to be coming from everywhere. Leaks like crazy from under the engine and somewhere near the clutch/chain. After riding it for am hour straight I pull over and there was oil all over the left side of the rear tire. Obviously a big safety issue

Other than that it runs perfect! Haha. I'll do a bunch of research on here to figure out what's wrong, but if anyone has any tips let me know. Thanks

My bro going for a ride
IMG_6222.jpg

IMG_6246.jpg

IMG_6247.jpg

IMG_6248.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 288
Cool scoot. I have a feeling that your leaking oil under the bike is coming from behind the main drive gear (or whatever it's called, the drive chain goes on this little sprocket). You probably only need to torque the fuck out of that nut. I can't remember the exact torque value (search the forum), but go with the highest value for any year, about 80 foot pounds? Make sure you have that silly bent washer in place and bent to keep it from loosening.

Other potential leaks are the clutch pushrod seal and starter seal, likeliness of leakiness in that order. Again, search the forum for how to change them out. Neither is a big deal. I'd address each of these three cures in that order.

Cheers,
Adam

With regards to the electrical issues, yeah, that's not something we can tell you the answer to based off what you're giving us. How old is your battery? What voltage are you getting at the terminals at idle? At 3k rpm?

Oak - Thanks for the feedback. I'll check all the spots you highlighted and let you know if the leaks stop.

As far as the electrical issues, I don't think it's the battery. Getting 12 volts off it, but haven't tested it at 3000rpm. Will do that tonight.

I think it might have something to do with the fuse housing. Sometimes when I jiggle the handle bars the power comes back, and I think when I jiggle the handle bars it pulls on the fuse block. I still have the old fuse block, so I went and picked up a new one today as well as some new fuses. Hoping that works.

Cheers!!

So I figured it out. Was something so stupid. The battery terminals had come loose on the ride. You think that would be the 1st thing I would check. Tightened them up and the power issue was gone. Haha.

As for the starter, I did some digging on this forum and realized that because my bars are painted the starter wasn't getting grounded and that was cutting it off. Took the Dremel to the paint under the switches and it's working fine now!!

Now to fix the oil leaks.
Thank God for this forum!

My bro going for a ride - - -

Hi SB,
nice looking bike, good that it's problems are on the way to being solved and it never rains in Alberta so you don't need a front fender, eh?
And tell your bro ATTATT! Swanning around with no gloves and with dress shoes and little white ankle socks on his feet fer Chrissake!
Surely every Albertan must have at least one pair of cowboy boots?

Hi SB,
nice looking bike, good that it's problems are on the way to being solved and it never rains in Alberta so you don't need a front fender, eh?
And tell your bro ATTATT! Swanning around with no gloves and with dress shoes and little white ankle socks on his feet fer Chrissake!
Surely every Albertan must have at least one pair of cowboy boots?

Haha, I was waiting for someone to notice that. He just took it for a couple laps around the cul de sac, never got it above 20kp/h (still fast enough to get hurt though!). He's just learning how to ride now so I let him get on it when he came over after work.
Definitely not the proper riding gear!! :doh:

As for the front fender, I'm waiting on the black fender/fork brace from 650Direct to come back in stock. It's been raining like crazy, and I'm getting tired of the water getting shot directly in my face. Hopefully it shows up soon.

Back