1981 Carb issue...

Maybe my posts are going up but I thought I had a list of stuff that was going on ad a list of stuff done to the bike? By the way i never saw anything from you Peanut, before you deleted it and after.
OK the issue is this one side runs rich, one side is running lean. That's been the main issue, I had a TCI box fail about 2 months ago and I got a second hand one (I have zero experience in electronics or how to do electricly work so I won't try to fix the old box) I replaced it with one from a 83 650 and the bike ran good til about a month ago with this all started.
As it stands this is what I've done to the bike, I tested out running smaller main jets (135) bike ran lean on both sides but was running good, had stock 42.5 pilots so I changed them out for slightly bigger 45s and while I was in there I decided to put the bigger 137.5s back in there to see how it would run. For a few weeks it was ok...then I started having issues, it would hicup(like it wasn't getting enough fuel or getting too much fuel or not even spark) at around 3000-4500RPM. I changed out the spark plugs but it was still there, so I checked how bad they were, the left side was black but it was starting to get a tan colour on top of the electrode on the spark plug, the right side was completely black. So I turned the mixture down on the right side, still no change.
I've done nothing to the motor, the carbs are still the "stock" ones that the 81 came with...the one thing I just recently change are spark plug caps, while changing it I notice that the wire had alot of corrosion and almost like rust with water in it, the other one just had white corrosion in it so I cut it back a bit and put the new caps on.....

Now to further the issue I went for a rip today and at one point the bike went to one cylinder then went back to two.
Also while at idle, the RPM will drop under 1000RPM then come back up and then drop again.
As for when the surging issue happens it doesn't matter which gear it's as I either am on the throttle or just slowly rolling on the throttle.
Sorry if my posts are vague at times, I'm trying to do research as I'm asking and not to set the bike on fire

on the basis of what you have just said about the HT leads and plugs .....if it were me I would invest a little money in new HT leads and spark plugs and caps (the correct ones) new plugs will be easier to read and the HT caps and leads are a vital part of your ignition system so it will be a good investment and you should then be able to eliminate the leads caps and plugs as being part of the problem.

As Skull650 says you need to adopt a systematic troubleshooting approach to this problem and eliminate components as you go . If you jump about changing jets one minute then parts of the ignition system next you won't know if what you disturb is adding to the problem .

I cannot believe that someone hasn't written up a good troubleshoot guide at some time in the past .

Ok heres one written by Inxs in the TECH section. it is very comprehensive .
A lot of it is not going to apply to your situation but there is some really good stuff in there.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/bike-wont-start-running-rough.390/

I would start with resetting the valves to a slightly looser setting than recommended . if you use the XS2 650 settings XS2-650..0.006"(0.15mm)....0.012"(0.30mm) then you can be sure at least that its unlikely to be a poorly seating valve adding to your problem.

Last edited:
I don't post here much, and I'm a bit of a newb to the xs650 , but my bike did what you described : hiccup, run on one cylinder then both. One side black plug, the other tan. I found my battery wasn't fully charged. When I put it o a trickle charger, it ran great. I'm going to change the battery this weekend . Try checking the battery and or charge rate. It might be part of your issue too.

on the basis of what you have just said about the HT leads and plugs .....if it were me I would invest a little money in new HT leads and spark plugs and caps (the correct ones) new plugs will be easier to read and the HT caps and leads are a vital part of your ignition system so it will be a good investment and you should then be able to eliminate the leads caps and plugs as being part of the problem.

As Skull650 says you need to adopt a systematic troubleshooting approach to this problem and eliminate components as you go . If you jump about changing jets one minute then parts of the ignition system next you won't know if what you disturb is adding to the problem .

I cannot believe that someone hasn't written up a good troubleshoot guide at some time in the past .

Ok heres one written by Inxs in the TECH section. it is very comprehensive .
A lot of it is not going to apply to your situation but there is some really good stuff in there.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/bike-wont-start-running-rough.390/

I would start with resetting the valves to a slightly looser setting than recommended . if you use the XS2 650 settings XS2-650..0.006"(0.15mm)....0.012"(0.30mm) then you can be sure at least that its unlikely to be a poorly seating valve adding to your problem.
It's funny you mention valves...I checked my valve clearance about a month ago the right side was out but the left side was fine...I'll have a check on the weekend
Thank you!

Back