1981 Electrical Issue

xs650custombuildzz

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Was out for a ride today, was riding for about hour and ten minutes when the bikes electrical just stopped working. Bike just turned off. The headlight got really weak, the running lights are weak and the turn signals are weak. After about 3 minutes of sitting at the side of the road, I tried to start it back up, and it started so I went ahead and drove it, but the issue happened about another mile down the road. I had to get to my destination so I let it sit for another couple mins and it started back up again. The issue happened AGAIN, about a mile down the road, where it completely turned off. Just got me puzzled, going to take an in depth look at it tmrw. Any thoughts on what it might be doing?
thanks-pat

Happened to me many times
Check the charging circuit ... Measure charging voltage Across the battery
I would guess alternator -- stator or rotor or brushes ..That model i think have Electronic regulator and rectifier that are supposed to be good
But can be other things

Happened to me many times
Check the charging circuit ... Measure charging voltage Across the battery
I would guess alternator -- stator or rotor or brushes ..That model i think have Electronic regulator and rectifier that are supposed to be good
But can be other things
Was out for a ride today, was riding for about hour and ten minutes when the bikes electrical just stopped working. Bike just turned off. The headlight got really weak, the running lights are weak and the turn signals are weak. After about 3 minutes of sitting at the side of the road, I tried to start it back up, and it started so I went ahead and drove it, but the issue happened about another mile down the road. I had to get to my destination so I let it sit for another couple mins and it started back up again. The issue happened AGAIN, about a mile down the road, where it completely turned off. Just got me puzzled, going to take an in depth look at it tmrw. Any thoughts on what it might be doing?
thanks-pat
thanks for the help. I checked the charging and it wasn’t charging so I looked at the rotor and tested for resistance and there was none so bad rotor.
Took off the stator and the rotor wire was un-soldered from the rest of the rotor. Poorly made imo. Got it from PU. Soldered it back on, seems to be working correctly don’t know for how long tho

Well, if it comes down to it, Jim rewinds rotors and does a very good job, but he only does originals. You'd need to determine if yours is original or an aftermarket replacement. We might be able to tell you if you post some pics of it.

Well, if it comes down to it, Jim rewinds rotors and does a very good job, but he only does originals. You'd need to determine if yours is original or an aftermarket replacement. We might be able to tell you if you post some pics of it.
Yeah... good point. I suspect that if the wire came loose it's a repop. Never heard of that happening to an OEM.
No matter, if you wind up needing one, I have cores for outright sales.

Yeah... good point. I suspect that if the wire came loose it's a repop. Never heard of that happening to an OEM.
No matter, if you wind up needing one, I have cores for outright sales.
The rotor is from ricks motorsports. Not OEM. Again, very poorly made it’s just a clump of solder holding the ends of the wire winding

Back