1981 XS650 Noise on a Hard Left Lean

xs650special

James
Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm James. I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I'm not sure if this is the right section for this post but here's my problem. I just picked up a 1981 XS650, I'm not sure if it's a Special, I haven't ID the bike yet but there is something that is concerning me. When the bike is put into a left lean, not even really far over, there is a noise that sounds like a grinding or an intense sharp buzz. It definitely sounds metallic and it quits when the bike is brought back up. I've checked to see if there is something loose and hitting the somewhere on the bike but I've found nothing. If anyone has heard of this before or has any ideas, that would be great.

Might be a long shot here, but the first thing I would check is the chain guard. It might be lose and rubbing on the chain.

Check you side stand isnt flapping out - perhaps broken / missing spring. Have a friend(s) lean the bike over while running so you can check

Where does the noise seem to be coming from?

Hey resto I check the chain guard only to discovery that there is no chain guard on my bike. Is it possible that the swing arm bushing or something is so worn that it is moving stuff around while leaning? Paulrxs650 I'm gonna check that out later 2day.

Check your wheel bearings as well. Sometimes they will howl under the lateral load of turning in one or both directions when they are on the way out.

The noise sounds like it is coming from like the center of the bike on the left sound, around the motor which is why it is really throwing me off. It's like something is getting hit while leaning. I'm pretty sure it is not the side stand, the spring is pretty strong. Right now the back wheel is if, I'm putting on a new tire so when I get it back together I'll really try to pin the sound down. Also, I'll see what I can find on the back wheel bearings.

Back