Make Offer - 1981 XS650 - Project Bike + Goodies

anthony412

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

EDIT: Back on the market! Was allegedly being rebuilt by a friend of a friend for the past two and a half months. Nothing happened! PM with any and all offers!

Have a 1981 xs650 Special. Made the poor decision to tear the bike down over winter and rebuild from scratch as a custom project. Unfortunately, like many, I tore the bike down months ago and it has not been touched since. Even more, the bike ran perfectly prior to tear down :doh:.

Have clear title! Brand new pirelli's with less than 50miles on them.

I bought some extras for it as well that go with the sale: DCC black headlight, mini speedo, led signals, new emgo bar weights, new full gasket kit from tc bro, a 17inch whelel and tire from a xj600, and 13inch shocks/springs from my brand new bonneville.

Bike prior to tear down: http://imgur.com/a/euIL3

Make any offer...I won't be offended. I have about 2300 into the bike and am expecting to take a substantial loss..the wife says it must go! :banghead:

Last edited:
Any interest in parting out the extra parts you have listed? I would be interested in your Bonneville shocks if the price is right.

ive made 2 weekend cross country trips to grab xs's man your bike is a tempting lucky number 3 id come steal it from ya cause thats what 2k is, a steal

Hi all,

Have a 1981 xs650 Special. Made the poor decision to tear the bike down over winter and rebuild from scratch as a custom project. Unfortunately, like many, I tore the bike down months ago and it has not been touched since. Even more, the bike ran perfectly prior to tear down :doh:.

Have clear title! Brand new pirelli's with less than 50miles on them.

I bought some extras for it as well that go with the sale: DCC black headlight, mini speedo, led signals, new emgo bar weights, new full gasket kit from tc bro, a 17inch whelel and tire from a xj600, and 13inch shocks/springs from my brand new bonneville.

Bike prior to tear down: http://imgur.com/a/euIL3

Make any offer...I won't be offended. I have about 2300 into the bike and am expecting to take a substantial loss..the wife says it must go! :banghead:

Hi Tony,
anything to keep peace in the house, eh?
How "torn down" is it? Seems to me your best resale strategy would be to put the bike back together "As was" and sell the bike and the upgrade extras as two separate packages.

Do you know how many miles were on it before tear down? You said it ran great, no smoke or anything? Try to pop out of gear on you?

Unaware on how many miles. Ran smooth, started on one or two kicks. Tranny and clutch were tight. It did have some small oil leaks which, while weren't major was part of the reason I began to tear it apart(other than wanting to have it painted and polished). Currently to top end is off. That's where I've ended up.

Hi Tony,
anything to keep peace in the house, eh?
How "torn down" is it? Seems to me your best resale strategy would be to put the bike back together "As was" and sell the bike and the upgrade extras as two separate packages.

I'm thinking about that and it's still an option. Have a kid on the way soon so time is the important part, not the money.

Back