1981 XS650 Special OEM Handlebars

Jrider62

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me what handlebar part number on MikeXS.com most closely matches the stock OEM handlebars on a 1981 XS650? Is it Mikes part #XS-12540? This part give OEM Ref:4H9-2611-00-00

Could anyone tell me what handlebar part number on MikeXS.com most closely matches the stock OEM handlebars on a 1981 XS650? Is it Mikes part #XS-12540? This part give OEM Ref:4H9-2611-00-00
How OE do yo want to get? The MikesXS bar has abrupt bends, rather than the gentle rounded curves of the OE bar. Also, the knurl does not line up with the XS clamps. They don’t show enough pictures to show me different. If you’re not fussy, they’re fine.

The majority out spoken opinion here is that that bar belongs in the scrap bin. (I’m a contrarian.) Someone here should have one to give you. Create a “WANTED: Stupid Special handlebar” thread. There should be plenty of responses.

How OE do yo want to get? The MikesXS bar has abrupt bends, rather than the gentle rounded curves of the OE bar. Also, the knurl does not line up with the XS clamps. They don’t show enough pictures to show me different. If you’re not fussy, they’re fine.

The majority out spoken opinion here is that that bar belongs in the scrap bin. (I’m a contrarian.) Someone here should have one to give you. Create a “WANTED: Stupid Special handlebar” thread. There should be plenty of responses.
Great information! I am interested in getting a set of OE bars or as close to them as possible. Thank you!

I have a set of them (OEM) in nice condition; shipping is the issue, however. They take up a lot of space.

bar.jpg

Last bars I shipped, I just wrapped in bubble wrap and packing tape... stuck a shipping label on and sent it on it's way. Don't remember where or the cost, but I do remember it was pretty reasonable.

These bars have been bad mouthed since they hit the show room floor. I think they were replaced faster than the stock exhaust on a new Harley. I got a buddy who is a counter guy at the Harley dealer... he said they toss a ton of Harley exhaust away every year. 😎

Jeff, open an account at Pirateship.com. It's free.
Been using 'em for about a year now. I'd say that on average, they're about 40-50% cheaper than going to the post office or the UPS Store.
Never heard of it! I'll look it up...

Even in a cardboard box, it's reasonable. I just plugged in a 36x10x10 box at 5 lbs. From KC to Independence Ky it's still under 20 bucks with Pirate Ship. That ain't bad.

Untitled.png

These bars have been bad mouthed since they hit the show room floor. I think they were replaced faster than the stock exhaust on a new Harley. I got a buddy who is a counter guy at the Harley dealer... he said they toss a ton of Harley exhaust away every year. 😎
Ugly and borderline dangerous.

Very interesting, I just sent a box big enough for bars + USPS … it was over $50 , no bueno, not doing it again.
Small “priority mail” boxes are still very reasonable ($10) however

Ugly and borderline dangerous.
That;s an opinion. Like them or not the statement they being borderline dangerous is wrong. Are they made for canyon carving, probably not but anyone who likes them and done a lot of miles will tell you they can keep up with someone who's expectations outweighs their ability. That is the dangerous rider/bike

That;s an opinion. Like them or not the statement they being borderline dangerous is wrong. Are they made for canyon carving, probably not but anyone who likes them and done a lot of miles will tell you they can keep up with someone who's expectations outweighs their ability. That is the dangerous rider/bike
Actually, I've done a lot of "canyon carving" with them. When people say, "How do you ride with those stupid handlebars?", I usually respond with something like "Just try to keep up." I've got long legs. The Special bars can be an issue doing a U-turn in a narrow street. My legs can get in the way. I like the bar down, grips low, almost touching the tank at full lock. Out on the road, they're comfortable for me.

Back