1982 XS650 Project Bike:

Reaction score
Hey guys, came across this 1982 XS650 Special in mint condition accept the ding on gas tank, last tags 1987, been in storage, the guy told me it ran before he put it away. need some advice on the steps I need to take when starting this project (and no I did not even try to start this) got it for 600.00. It does look like he drained the oil and gas.

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
More likely an '81 with the mags, choke and sidecovers.
Drain the oil and check the sump filter for the inevitable tear.....clean the side oil strainer.
New oil, cycle the engine with a valve cover off to make sure of upper end lubrication.
Clean the fuel tank, add fresh duel an inline fuel filter. Charge the battery. See if she'll fire up. Be ready to shut her down if you get any funky sounds or high idle. One step at a time.
Could have a great sleeper there. Congrats!

7K on the clock!
Looks like she'll clean up nice.......pipes look good, even has the rubber fork caps......bike's just broke in.
Do the slap test for charging, mebbe check the charging rotor ohms and brush length.
Man, I need another project..........

Hey guys, got bike home and started the process, took spark Gus out and sprayed penetrating oil in the spark plug holes, haven't turned rotor yet, should I spay the in where the valves are before I start turning the rotor to see if the engine will turn, will post pictures soon

Back