1983 - Starter Will Only Engage Once

gaillarry

XS650 Member
Reaction score
When I hit the start button the starter will only turn over once, can't get it to continuously turn over. I replaced the starter clutch, new clip and spring and no change. With the spark plugs out the starter will continue to turn over as long as the starter button is held in.The old starter clutch was well worn. Could it be the starter, can't take the load under compression ?

Last edited:
When I hit the start button the starter will only turn over once, can't get it to continuously turn over. I replaced the starter clutch, new clip and spring and no change. With the spark plugs out the starter will continue to turn over as long as the starter button is held in.The old starter clutch was well worn. Could it be the starter, can't take the load under compression ?

You most likely have a worn out battery. The starter motor draws a lot of amps, so it acts very much like a "load" test. Many automotive shops that sell batteries have a "load tester". They will test it for free, and probably tell you its defective, then they can sell you a new battery.

Another possibility is corroded, poor connections of the large battery cables that connect to the bike's frame and to the starter relay/motor. Remove the large cable connections and clean them so its bare metal on metal.

The starter motors are very well made, and quite reliable, even after all the years of use.

It goes without saying, that your bike also must have a strong charging system to keep the battery fully charged. A fully charged battery will measure about 12.4 volts.

I will just throw it out there....my starter on both my 77' and 81' were complete junk. The 77' sounded like rattling nails in a can and the 81' does the same as your 83'. I just run kicker only...works better anyway

Back