1st time timing

Trizz5253

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read some different parts but they expect you to know I'm sure way things but never timing before I need some help. I have a 77 with a pma points and cap and I know the timing is wrong. When someone out in the pma they didn't tighten the bolts to the timing plate. The first time I started it it ran fine we turned it off and started it again and we for a pop out of the exhaust. The third time I read it and it ran like shit and I pushed it home. I know nothing about timing do please take it easy on me. Thanks for the help.

1 - I'd put the adjustment plate on the points somewhere near the middle of the plate and losely tighten
2 - Procure a timing light
3 - Hookup said timing light and start the bike
4 - Point the timing light at the timing marks made on the rotor
5 - Adjust the points plate clockwise or counter-clockwise such that the timing mark lines up with the fire mark
6 - Check to make sure that around 2500rpm there is full advance

How would I get it close enough To be able to start the bike. It won't even start right now so the timing light won't work for me.

With the new PMA, I'm sure you have lost your timing marks, right?

So:

Temporarily re-install the old rotor and stator assembly. Using old woodruff key for the rotor and location pin for the stator housing.

Then re-time your bike using these instructions. Page 12.

When you all set, replace the new PMA and give that a try. And yes you can try starting it with the old rotor and stator system, just don't try to plug it in, it's not required to have a charging system to check for points timing. You're just loosing the charging system and will need a regular battery to test.

Eventually you will need to establish timing marks on the new PMA. Not all the easy, and nobody makes a 4mm to 5mm step woodruff key, so that is the shitty side of some PMA systems.

From what I've seen TC Bros use a PMA system that uses the existing 4mm woodruff key which is a big help.

Lot of work but... dooable.

Sadly nobody is bothering to make a rotor with timing marks equal to the existing old system and woodruff keys that work. The extra step would be nice for all converters to this new pma.

Oh, forgot, if you had one of these, it really makes timing a lot easier for points ignitions.

Attachments

• 650_svc_e2 inspection and adjustment.pdf
    337.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1702.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 54
Thanks for the advice I'm going to try to see what I can do this weekend. The good thing is I should only have to work on the rotor and stator because I didn't touch the points. I figuring since it ran before no one had touched the points. So ill try putting on my old system and see how it works

Back