2 front brake discs

docraceraz

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I understand putting a second disc on the left side of the front wheel. Will a standard right side mount and caliper reverse to fit on left side? If not, what do you use for the mount and caliper. I also presume a Y connection in the hydraulic brake line. Correct?
Thanks

It did on mine, but I did not care for the extra weight & lines that seemed to make crap for braking difference. Be aware that most systems use smaller rotors on dual systems, which may require changing lower fork legs to accommodate fitment. I don't remember how much I had to do. Either way it wasn't worth it, just added weight.

If you want better braking, you could replace the stock caliper with a 4 piston caliper. I use a Brembo 4 piston caliper but there are other brands that work as well. Using double disc/calipers, may look "racy", but it adds extra unsprung weight which is not desirable.

I understand putting a second disc on the left side of the front wheel. Will a standard right side mount and caliper reverse to fit on left side? If not, what do you use for the mount and caliper. I also presume a Y connection in the hydraulic brake line. Correct?
Thanks
Hi doc,
the '76 and earlier rightside 2-piston caliper can be transmogrified into a leftside caliper but it's bleed valve won't be in the optimum place any more.
Your '78 single-piston caliper just CAN'T be reversed. Like rebel sez, you'll need a leftside caliper from an XS750/850/1100 STANDARD.
Note that the Weird Harold swivelling tapered pad calipers they put on XS750/850/11 SPECIALS just ain't the same at all so be careful what you buy.
You'll also need stainless lines to get the optimum feel.
Single line from master cylinder to brake line midpoint mount with double length banjo bolt and two lower brake lines is optimum.
I ran two lines through a double length banjo bolt at the master cylinder straight to each caliper because two longer hoses cost less than three shorter ones.
Positive factor for dual disks. Far better brake feel with the stock master cylinder. Negative factor, big increase in unsprung weight.
Better fix, aftermarket 11mm master cylinder and stainless lines.
And yes, you can swap in newer better forks and brakes from other models but it ain't easy or cheap.

Back