2001 sportster speedo on xs650

McGyver62

McGyver62
Reaction score
I have a 1971 xs650 with 2001 hd front end .I also have plenty more parts from the same bike .One is the electric speedometer, which just happens to mount nicely on my forks.Is it possible to wire it into my stock 71 harness and have it work ? thanks Mac

No it can't be wired to work on an XS. Harleys equiped with the electronic speedos had a sensor in the transmission to send a signal to the speedo to show the right speed. XS's only had a mechanical speedo from the front wheel to the gauge. If you can find a mechanical Harley speedo, cable and drive you might be in business.

Thanks PhatTony.I never noticed a spot for a mechanical drive on my 21 in front spoked wheel.I will take a better look but im afraid its wishfull thinking on my part :( I have heard of electric Tachs added as an after thought on bikes and was hoping the speedometer would work with the same principle .Back to the drawing board

Ok racerdave ill bite . I dont imagine they go very fast or last very long do they ? Have you done this ?Maybe once I see how that works I could find a way to make mine work too :)

Back