2003 Royal Enfield 500 Deluxe

Gentlemen, Thank You for all your comments, very helpful.

@Jim, the bike is used. Two previous owners, first was a gent of 74 who bought the bike after forty years without riding and he found it too much for him so hardly used it. It's a 2019 bike with less than 2,000 miles. Current owner is a private seller and says he has six other bikes so needs to sell something - has just bought a Honda NX750 and reluctantly selling the RE. Pricewise, saves a lot on the new price. Found a dealership selling a very similar used bike, also under 2,000 miles, but £1300 more expensive. Plus the bike has a number of aftermarket extras, mostly ones you would want such as silencers, alloy mudguards and a comfy 'touring' seat, not shown in the photos. The original parts are all included in what looks like a good deal.

@jetmechmarty, glad you posted that video. The guy appears genuine in trying to give a helpful picture to prospective buyers and I'd say the points he makes are balanced. So I watched right through. Obviously his major points on the downside are finish and reliability. The other points about price, remaining budget and dealerships are to an extent particular to him and the self-imposed constraints of his video series. It certainly seems true that the RE dealer network in N America has been problematic for years.

Reviews in Britain have noted that the finish on RE 650s lags a bit behind Kawasaki W800 and Triumph, which therefore means you need to keep on top of cleaning. The REs are built down to price. However, not been many reliability issues have been reported - speedo cables replaced under warranty and loose head bearings on a few bikes were the main ones noted. In general, people say the new REs are reliable.

Having mentioned the better finish on Kawasakis, my W800 which I have used & abused for ten years, is starting to show its age. If I buy the RE, it will be my main summer ride and the W800 will be in effect a bad weather/Winter bike. I really should put the W800 up on the lift and give it a good seeing-to. Grease s/arm, lube hinges, try and deal with rust on the frame and so on. But that's another story.

And if I buy the RE I will need to get rid of at least one other bike. Four bikes in the garage is too many in my view, three is OK but my long term aim is two.

Think about that and the implications for Miss November don't need to be spelled out.

Even after a night, still have thinking to do. I would like to buy the Interceptor and maybe that's because I'm more a rider than a mechanic? Plus at our age, got to think, how many more summers of riding have I got left? And on the money side, Mrs points out that you can't take it with you.

So, still thinking.

Have said I will call the seller today. Meantime, more photos for you chaps:

View attachment 263423View attachment 263424View attachment 263425

@Adamc, if I buy it, might start a thread.
Great looking RE. At £1500 under used retail Its a steal! Almost a no brainer to buy; even if you decide to sell on sooner than later ££ could be in your favour. Your future planning makes total sense; at the moment I enjoy spannering and riding; but as we age the riding takes precedence.
It would be sad to see Miss November moved on, but you will have sorted your biking priorities no doubt.
I would defo go for it!

Good looker. Done a fair bit of research on these 650's. The finish comes up at times but mostly that comes from being to casual in looking after them. Carage'd and polished, ( for me that's lanolin), and they last.

One thing is, they are a bit sluggish up hill. One guy I was reading about, (will post a link when I get to the laptop), put higher compression pistons, still 650, and he said it transformed it.

When I read your thinking about the intercepter, thought miss September might b ft or the chop. That reliability issue has to b her downfall.

I don't think you will regret it, even though the warranty has run out, RE wouldn't give it three years it they were going to b unreliable. Here in Aus with all year round riding the warranty was going to b tested.

My neighbor has one and he when he got it two years ago he asked me to ride it to teach one of my advanced rider classes. It was quick, nimble and ran great. The only issue I found was that his particular bike had a false neutral between 3-4 gear. Probably just that particular bike but I had to be aware when I was shifting. All in all I would buy one if I was in the market. The dealer close to my house has a great reputation and a tracker modded XS650 sitting in the showroom. Can’t argue with that…

@jetmechmarty, you are right - the extras include silencers/mufflers, alloy mudguards/fenders, metal indicators/turn signals, bar risers, Hepco & Becker panniers & rack and a comfort/touring seat. Not all pictured. Oh, and seller mentioned air filter has been swapped for freer-flowing DNA item.

At my location, (Memphis, TN) if I were considering a new bike, there are few options. Bumpus Harley Davidson sells Royal Enfield. There are no Triumph or Moto Guzzi dealers. The Yamaha Kawasaki dealer has proven useless already. Honda is doing great with side-by-sides and watercraft. They might have some motorcycles. Motorcycles = Harley Davidson.

Last edited:
My neighbor has one and he when he got it two years ago he asked me to ride it to teach one of my advanced rider classes. It was quick, nimble and ran great. The only issue I found was that his particular bike had a false neutral between 3-4 gear. Probably just that particular bike but I had to be aware when I was shifting. All in all I would buy one if I was in the market. The dealer close to my house has a great reputation and a tracker modded XS650 sitting in the showroom. Can’t argue with that…
Thank you for the report - I've heard a slight grumble about the gearchange on the new RE Classic - their very retro looking 349cc, which has been said to throw up a few false neutrals. Other people say it's just getting used to the bike.

At my location, (Memphis, TN) if I we’re considering a new bike, there are few options. Bumpus Harley Davidson sells Royal Enfield. There are no Triumph or Moto Guzzi dealers. The Yamaha Kawasaki dealer has proven useless already. Honda is doing great with side-by-sides and watercraft. They might have some motorcycles. Motorcycles = Harley Davidson.
Thank you for that little insight. This side of the Pond we hear various stories about life in the USA in general and m/cs in particular. The general impression of course is that it's a vast country and you can't generalise. Interesting the picture from Tennessee.

I completely understand making the move. Right now, you have two bikes needing a lot of attention. When the RE comes into the fold and another leaves you shou have more riding less wrenching.

I bought a Interceptor...in Ravishing Red !,, added a tour seat.. and Cravin " paniers " from across the pond. Cruises silky smooth at 75mph. I tell others everyone build a 650 Twin for the pass 60-70 years.... they were all try'n to make the RE 650. I also have a 2011 Bullet, with Cozy sidecar... rolls along all day lot at 55mph haul'n my generous kister and all my camping gear... 1200 mile solos... 😎

Attachments

• RE and Triton.jpg
    RE and Triton.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 17
  • Tin heads.jpg
    Tin heads.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 18
Thank you for the report - I've heard a slight grumble about the gearchange on the new RE Classic - their very retro looking 349cc, which has been said to throw up a few false neutrals. Other people say it's just getting used to the bike.

Thank you for that little insight. This side of the Pond we hear various stories about life in the USA in general and m/cs in particular. The general impression of course is that it's a vast country and you can't generalise. Interesting the picture from Tennessee.
I met a couple from the Uk... some years ago.... driving across the states.. they had to make routes designed for the wife... she had kidney issues and couldn't be more then .. I think 4 hours.. from a larger medical facility in the event see needed help... the states are vast....But, the people are mostly the same... despite what the news portrays... like everyone on this big blue marble.... we all do it the same... just a little different... except the folks down south think I want grits... NO ! 🤢

Gentlemen, Thank You for all your comments, very helpful.

@Jim, the bike is used. Two previous owners, first was a gent of 74 who bought the bike after forty years without riding and he found it too much for him so hardly used it. It's a 2019 bike with less than 2,000 miles. Current owner is a private seller and says he has six other bikes so needs to sell something - has just bought a Honda NX750 and reluctantly selling the RE. Pricewise, saves a lot on the new price. Found a dealership selling a very similar used bike, also under 2,000 miles, but £1300 more expensive. Plus the bike has a number of aftermarket extras, mostly ones you would want such as silencers, alloy mudguards and a comfy 'touring' seat, not shown in the photos. The original parts are all included in what looks like a good deal.

@jetmechmarty, glad you posted that video. The guy appears genuine in trying to give a helpful picture to prospective buyers and I'd say the points he makes are balanced. So I watched right through. Obviously his major points on the downside are finish and reliability. The other points about price, remaining budget and dealerships are to an extent particular to him and the self-imposed constraints of his video series. It certainly seems true that the RE dealer network in N America has been problematic for years.

Reviews in Britain have noted that the finish on RE 650s lags a bit behind Kawasaki W800 and Triumph, which therefore means you need to keep on top of cleaning. The REs are built down to price. However, not been many reliability issues have been reported - speedo cables replaced under warranty and loose head bearings on a few bikes were the main ones noted. In general, people say the new REs are reliable.

Having mentioned the better finish on Kawasakis, my W800 which I have used & abused for ten years, is starting to show its age. If I buy the RE, it will be my main summer ride and the W800 will be in effect a bad weather/Winter bike. I really should put the W800 up on the lift and give it a good seeing-to. Grease s/arm, lube hinges, try and deal with rust on the frame and so on. But that's another story.

And if I buy the RE I will need to get rid of at least one other bike. Four bikes in the garage is too many in my view, three is OK but my long term aim is two.

Think about that and the implications for Miss November don't need to be spelled out.

Even after a night, still have thinking to do. I would like to buy the Interceptor and maybe that's because I'm more a rider than a mechanic? Plus at our age, got to think, how many more summers of riding have I got left? And on the money side, Mrs points out that you can't take it with you.

So, still thinking.

Have said I will call the seller today. Meantime, more photos for you chaps:

View attachment 263423View attachment 263424View attachment 263425

@Adamc, if I buy it, might start a thread.

Gorgeous bike! I love the chrome tank 😍. Now I want one😩

One of the older boys in High School had one of the last year models . Rare Motorcycle ..I did not know him
Bike Was pretty then and is pretty Now I dont remember anyone had that handlebar on a road going machine

1710031959581.png

Back