21" XL250 wheel, help with new hub

Crdizzle6288

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey guys. I'm new here and am attempting to build my first xs650. I have a 21" wheel/rim from an old Honda XL250. I will be using the rim and getting rid of the drum brake. Has anyone done this and can give me details on how to piece together the correct hub, bearings, spokes, etc.? I am very new to this bike and am looking to learn as much as possible and do as much as I can without paying someone to do it. I am new this this forum but not other forums so I used to search function and looked through almost every "XL250" search I found and nothing had details of what I need. any help would be greatly appreciated!

my buddy had me confused, which is why I asked. I just asked him again and he said I can re-lace it to the stock 36 hole hub that came on the XS. he was confused on what i was asking him so I had to go over it with him again and now were good to go. thanks for the replies guys, sorry for the confusion.

Well if you're using the XS forks, the simplest thing to do would be to lace it to a stock XS front hub. With some reasonable exceptions, almost any rim can be laced to an hub that has the same number of spokes.

I'm guessing that the smallish XL drum hub uses a very similar spoke angle to the stock XS disc hub, so as long as all the parts are solid, all you need are spokes and nipples.

Back