277 degree rephase experience good or bad

sportyrider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've been away for a while. I was wondering what the verdict has been on the 277 rephase craze that was going on a few years ago. Worth the time and expense or waste of time? Please respond ONLY if you have actually owned or wrenched on one of these modified engines. Thanks.

I own 2 bikes with a rephased engine, and have built 10 or so engines rephased. But, I'm gonna be a bit biased - might as well go ahead and get that our there :)

Vibrations are WAY less. You can now ride sustained higher RPM without having your legs, hands or ass fall asleep.

Torque is up - just a matter of physics.

HP - No telling, I've never dyno'd one...

Whats the bare minimum cost on a rephase? Still need a new cam and ignition right? Plus I guess new rings...

Posted via Mobile

Whats the bare minimum cost on a rephase? Still need a new cam and ignition right? Plus I guess new rings...

Posted via Mobile

BARE Minimum - You do the crank yourself and all rods/bearings are good - Free - having it done is $300 for a fully modified, welded and trued up crank.

Cam - Myself, Mr. Riggs, or Megacycle $185-400 depending

Ignition - Pamco is cheapest (or modify points) and if you scrounge up coils and parts, you can run that pretty cheap.

The rest of the engine internals are up to the builder - if the engine was in good shape, just reinstall all the parts... Standard rebuild parts apply :thumbsup:

BARE Minimum - You do the crank yourself and all rods/bearings are good - Free - having it done is $300 for a fully modified, welded and trued up crank.

Cam - Myself, Mr. Riggs, or Megacycle $185-400 depending

Ignition - Pamco is cheapest (or modify points) and if you scrounge up coils and parts, you can run that pretty cheap.

The rest of the engine internals are up to the builder - if the engine was in good shape, just reinstall all the parts... Standard rebuild parts apply :thumbsup:

So around $600-700...wow

Might as well just do the rings and bearings and never touch the engine again.

I think what's amazing is that we've got one of the least expensive motorcycles out there, but it still aint cheap to rebuild an engine.

Posted via Mobile

Pheller,yes,at this time the xs650 is fairly cheap to actually purchase (depending on year,condition,title,etc.) BUT,parts are parts. It doesn't matter how cheap you bought it,it still costs to build them.Nobody is giving away pistons,rings,gaskets ,etc.Nor should they.Like the old saying goes,"YA wanna play,ya gonna pay!" And to the OP,yes i think the rephasing is worth the cost.

Last edited:
So around $600-700...wow

Might as well just do the rings and bearings and never touch the engine again.

I think what's amazing is that we've got one of the least expensive motorcycles out there, but it still aint cheap to highly modify and rebuild an engine.

Posted via Mobile

Fixed it for you.

Just built my 277 rephased engine on the weekend, all work done by me including rephasing & tig welding up the crank, parts total so far is around $2,200.00.
Depends how far you want to go....

Hey, Sporty, I'm sure you have heard this before, but the search function is your friend. And oh, by the way, it's not exactly a "craze", just so ya know.

Just built my 277 rephased engine on the weekend, all work done by me including rephasing & tig welding up the crank, parts total so far is around $2,200.00.
Depends how far you want to go....

+1

My crank (after Hughs magic touch is applied) will be 1000.00. All new bearings, rods, big end bearings, rephase etc.

The engine is the biggest cost on my build. EVERYTHING is being replaced if possible.

Valve collets, adjuster screws and locking nuts are STILL available from Yamaha.. fyi.

I did mine at the beginning of the year. Total cost was around $1500 which includes some of the special tools necessary to do all the work myself.

The vibration is less intense but it's nowhere near smooth. It's more of a buzzy vibe than the throbbing vibe of the stock motor. In all honesty, I prefer the stock vibes.

The sound is where it's at. I've got baffled straight pipes and the growl this thing puts out is very tough. Reminiscent of a high revving V8.

If you are considering a re-phase because you want a smooth powerful engine, then you would be money ahead buying a different bike that already has a smooth powerful engine. Now, if you are just looking for a fun ride with a burly sound, then you will be happy with the re-phase.

Most of the cost is just for the rebuild. If you are rebuilding anyway, then the re-phase only adds a couple hundred bucks (assuming you do most of the work yourself).

:laugh:
Cool story bro.

Lol. Take is easy James. This guy has clearly done his research and used the search function before he asked his insanely unique question that has never been discussed before, ever.

To the OP. If you want help, first try helping yourself without the search function. This will prevent answers that you aren't looking for. The 277 rephase has been discussed over and over again.

Hey, Sporty, I'm sure you have heard this before, but the search function is your friend. And oh, by the way, it's not exactly a "craze", just so ya know.

I used the search and wasn't satisfied with all I found so I asked a simple question. At the time I was reading about rephasing, 4 or so years ago, it seemed like a fad or "craze".
If you'll re-read my first post you'll also see I asked for replys that actually have something to do with the question I posed. See Punkskalar and Mr. Riggs' replies for examples of what I was seeking.

Mr. Riggs has a great response. The rocking couple would be intrusive because the crank throws are so far apart. I think rocking couple is twice crankshaft speed and I always notice rocking couple in footpegs. The very low rpm off idle pull will be snatchy due to the uneven firing.

I figured this out by doing mind experiments not by owning a rephase but when I asked it was confirmered by rephase owners.

Interesting point on the electric start Steve.

Tom Graham

Last edited:
Back