277 Pamco e advance?

Paulrxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just doing some research on an ignition system for this winter project which will run a 277 rephased engine.

My normal Boyer ignition does not supply a pick up for the 277 rephase, so I am venturing into the Pamco arena :)

My question is - Does anyone know if the Pamco e advance is available on the 277 version, or is it only available with the mechanical advance?

Paul

Hi

Thanks very much for the quick response. That's the way I'll be heading then. Are there any suggestions you would make on a PMA and cap combo. As I'm not running a Boyer and the style of bike I'm going for, I'm keen to delete the bulky battery

Paul

Paulrxs650,

There are 16 different ways to install the PAMCO 277 ignition and only one of those ways is correct, :doh: so you may be spending some time attempting to start your newly converted 277 engine. I would suggest that you do not install the PMA until you have the engine running with the existing alternator, even if the alternator does not work as it will provide you with the timing mark for one of the cylinders. :thumbsup:

Even with the PMA, I suggest that you initially connect the ignition coil and PAMCO to a battery so at least you will know the ignition has power. :thumbsup: If you also plan on removing the starter motor :wtf: then I also suggest that you delay that mod until you have the engine running as you will likely have to attempt to start or start the engine at least 200 times until you get it right (remember the 16 ways to install the ignition) :wtf: and unless you can hire someone to do the kicking, that is a lot of kicking. 200 attempts at five kicks each is 1,000 kicks, all on the same leg, er, ankle, er, shin, er, knee. :banghead:

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Yes it is sensible to remove the PMA on the initial startup to ensure no mishaps. I've read Hugh's blog on the set up and it's quite clear how to do it 16:1 ratio ;)

Is there a capacitor setup or small battery you'd recommend by the way?

Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

I run a blue Boyer ignition on one of my 270 engines, the magnets are on 135 degrees
On my other 270, the coils are put on 135 degrees, one coil for each red boyer.

Hi Paul,

About the blue boyer: Heiden tuning modified the magnetrotor
For me, for the rest it's a standard blue box
The red boyer boxes on the other bike work fine on just one sensor coil
So I modified the sensorplate
You can come over and have a look, we are just
200miles seperated ;-)
Send me your mailadress, that makes it easy to
Send you pics

Thanks for that - Ill ask Heiden to see what they can do

Yes we arent that far apart - just the North Sea in the middle - We get across to Assen a fair bit to watch the racing though

I'll PM you my email

Ive just found this which would be the same as what Heiden did for you?
I have a mill so this would be no trouble to move the magnets
Clearly the waste spark isn't an issue

Back