277pamco. Green coil replacement?

desmodromic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Bought a complete 277 pamco ignition from mikes xs. I hate how big these coil are. I had a BB ignition on my 360 crank and love the whole BB system, especially how small the coil is and the fact that you only need one. Are there any smaller coils out there that I could use instead of the green ones?
thanks

In the J&P catalog they have some Dynatek coils that claim to be the smallest coil out there. They have them in a 3 ohm primary $189 per pair. I think I can find room for the two you have for the price difference.
Leo

I use the Dyna Mini-Coils 3 Ohm... they work great, and you can hide em anywhere... Believe it or not, but this bike has 2 coils on it :)

408668_4945187903555_1080860439_n.jpg

And I'll give you a hint, they aren't hidden under the swingarm either...

I agree with you, those Green Coils are huge and hideous...

I use the Dyna Mini-Coils 3 Ohm... they work great, and you can hide em anywhere... Believe it or not, but this bike has 2 coils on it :)

408668_4945187903555_1080860439_n.jpg

And I'll give you a hint, they aren't hidden under the swingarm either...

I agree with you, those Green Coils are huge and hideous...

lol! i knew you couldn't stuff those green giants in there! i've seen the dyna coils before, just can't justify the price...

did you used one coil with dual output or two coil?

I've always used 2 coils. I have had some customers use a dual fire coil in the past though on the rephase... The "Tennessee Rose" that Roy Vance built is one that comes to mind...

_MG_6416.jpg

_MG_6393.jpg

You can see he mounted the coil up front, and his bike is rephased as well..

No problem Street Tracker. The link I provided is about as cheap as I've seen, anything with the name Dynatek on sell for. I have seen some single fire coils go for right at $120 for the pair if you are willing to wait for a deal.
The link gggGary provided is too high $. I've bought several 3 ohm or less(2.89 ohm) coils off ebay for less than $30 shipped. But they are big and bulky. Not what you were/are after.

@Tom blow the page up to 400% and you can see where they are.

@Punkskalar is heat a problem there? I would guess not as you've done it but had to ask.

Weekenrider, yes I think i will go for two of those and maintain the cylinder independace, ive heard pete talk about that kind of being key, and that seems to be whaut Hugh does too hard to go wrong that way seems like.

anyone you have pics part numbers on the single and double fire mini coils?

The 3 ohm mini dual output is P/N DC1-3. As weekendrider posted,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyna-3-ohm-D...5f3e9b&vxp=mtr

That's the best price I found, and they shipped very fast. It's 4.25 inches end to end, 2 5/16" high and 1 5/8" wide. Comes with everything in the picture on the E-bay ad.

I'm currently figuring out where to tuck mine away on my 79 S-II.

Back