2nd over w Wiseco's or 750 kit?

Rexxis

Almost there...
Reaction score
Here's a link to how this all got started: Long Version

Here's the short version:
The right cylinder seized, I pulled everything apart and took the cylinders in to the local speed shop. I hoped the guys there would tell me I just needed to go 1st over and I'd be all good. They told me today that I probably should go 2nd over to be safe bc it looked like 1st over would be cutting it close. Then he started talking to me about running Wiseco pistons and rings. He is telling me to run the Wiseco kit (kit # ck200 or ck201[URL="http://www.wiseco.com/Catalogs/Powersports/YamahaCycleStreetOverbore.pdf" ]See here[/URL]), I'll be in it for abt $600. Mikes 750 kit is going for only $60 more.

Anybody have any experience/insight w a Wiseco setup and/or/vs the 750 kit?
Any and all insight is greatly appreciated!

Buy the stock bore cylinder kit from Mike.Improved cooling fins and a better designed cam chain adjuster.The stock bore with the ticker sleeve will make the motor run cooler.

That would be the cheapest way to get the bike up and running again.. I hadn't really considered that option.

I kinda wanna hotrod the motor a bit while I've got it torn down though.

If you're thinking hot rod.....

Check out Hoos Racing. He has a 700cc kit that is 355. You use the stock cylinders with JE pistons and rings.

Just a thought, but there are people that sell stock cylinders and pistons w/rings all together on eBay all the time. I've seen a set of good pistons w/ rings and cylinders go for 20 bucks from one of these guys that just part out bikes.

Be careful what you wish for. Case in point I built a shell camed 750 Big bore head work ect. The bike is very fast and was fun to build. Not as fun to ride as the stock 650 I had. The increased engine braking from the compression makes the bike sort of on and off. Increased low end torque will put you on the pavement fast if your not careful not as forgiving as a stock 40 HP 650. Braking and clutch up grades are a must. If you are not going to race the bike and just as a dailey driver bore it 2nd over stock pistons and be happy my advice. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm wanting to beef up the motor so I'd welcome the extra bottom end, that's what I'm looking for. Plus I'm thinking rephase in the coming months. 750 plus rephase is gonna be a mean sob far as sixfiddy's go. I've got all winter to finish this project so I will have time to make all the necessary upgrades.

Ok I just read the long version. It seems like you haven't loged your first mile on the bike so you would not know what a good running 650 is like or if it is the bike for you yet. I loged over 18000 miles on my stocker before a missed shift caused me to do a tare down. I had the 750 kit for another bike I was going to build not my driver and with a diferant purpose in mind. You can spend a ton of money building your dream bike so make sure it is your dream and not some one elses. That being said take what ever advice you get some good some bad and make it your own. :thumbsup:

Back