3 out of 4 are working

tshadow6

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I checked my signals on my 78 xs, the right side works fine, the left side didn't work at all. I changed the relay, nothing changed. I removed the left front signal's bulb and hit the turn switch. The left rear signal started working. I am not getting any juice on the left front signal with my test light. Where do I go from there? Every time I try to post a video, the site tells me there is a problem.

I guess it would be time to start tracing wires. The signals are pretty easy to hook up wrong. The power wires for them are a dark green on the left and a dark brown or what Yamaha calls "chocolate" on the right. When dirty and in bad light, they all look black.

Check the connections as 5twins said, in the headlight shell. Sometimes the bullet connections are pretty stiff, and can give you a "false lock" that can work it's way loose.

Hi shadow,
you must have an aftermarket flasher unit? The stocker won't flash unless it has both full powered (27W each) signal bulbs; just turns them on but yours don't even do that?
Like 5T sez, check the wiring. I blew out 3 fuses through mistaking a black wire for a dark brown one.

Yes, I do have a relay from the local auto parts store. The rear left signal flashes, and both right sides flash. I'll go into the headlight bucket and check connections.

You might check the bulb first?

First things first, right?

h7820E3C11_zps1fcabf87.jpg

Back