447 vs 5V4

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
I'm curious about the difference between the mid-years motors and the later model motors.

I've got a 78 runner/rider with the 447, but my donor/spare motor is the 5V4 from an 82.

What's different, what's the same? (internally)

Posted via Mobile

Internally there's no difference. Clutch packs differ due to the extra captive steel plate in the late clutch baskets, but those will interchange; you just have to use the right number of friction plates. Alternators differ because of the need for a magnetic trigger on the late rotor and the mounting ports for the ignition pickup and double-insulated brush holder in the late machines. Late motors came with a single-pipe breather box bolted on. Cam chain tensioner assemblies interchange. The engine cores are identical.

In 78 (this appeared in some late 77 machines) the spline pattern on the transmission shafts changed, but whole transmissions can be swapped from motor to motor. Both of your motors should have the late-pattern tranny, so again, no difference.

Awesome.

I actually did some research and found out most of this, but I wanted to make sure.

Turns out the motor is a 1981 4N9-00707...Bond's XS650 motor?

Posted via Mobile

Back