6 or 8 point pick up?

blakey

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've got a 1981 XS650 S imported from America. Came with no wiring loom, and no ignition unit.

To replace the unit, I need to know it its a 6 or 8 point pick up. How can I tell which one I need, as I don't have the wiring harness, or the old unit? And does any one know if they are still available.

Hi

I've got a 1981 XS650 S imported from America. Came with no wiring loom, and no ignition unit.

To replace the unit, I need to know it its a 6 or 8 point pick up. How can I tell which one I need, as I don't have the wiring harness, or the old unit? And does any one know if they are still available.

I don't see why you would want to use a TCI (stock electronic ignition), when any unit you buy will be at least 32 years old. A better choice would be to buy a new ignition such as a Pamco with the E-advance.

The only difference between a TCI with 6 pin connector and the 8 pin connector, is one additional wire for the Sidestand Safety Relay, which I doubt you would be using anyway. Either unit could be used.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the heads up; I will hunt down a Pamco as suggested.

Hi blakey,
be sure it's the Pamco system that will give you the spark advance because your US model XS650 don't have the mechanical advancer that the ordinary Pamco uses to do that.
Also while Pamcos work great they are real easy to screw up if they ain't installed right and they ain't particularly cheap, neither.
Especially if you also get sucked down the PMA money drain.
My Clymer's wiring diagram shows the SG, H & SH models using a 6-wire ignitor unit.
BTW, the original ignitor unit on my Heritage Special still works OK.
If your bike still has the rest of it's stock ignition system I'd say take a chance on a used ignitor unit and wiring harness.

Thanks there are a lot of xs650s in the U.K. I might get lucky with a unit. I think Mikes xs spears do a replacement harness.

- - - I think Mikes xs spears do a replacement harness.

Hi blakey,
perhaps you'd do better dealing with Heiden Tuning rather than with MikesXS?
They seem to share the same catalog and it's presumably easier to deal with guys across the channel than with guys across the pond?

Back