6061 T6 Aluminum Girder Build

Just a quick update: Shock came in and its awesome! Had to do a little more machining on the upper tree to make room for the shock mount. Also finished up the lower shock mount and machined a couple .110 spacers for the top, those things were a pain on the old lathe I was using. Its starting to look like something at least. Waiting on a few pieces of hardware yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1840.JPG
    IMG_1840.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1841.JPG
    IMG_1841.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1849.JPG
    IMG_1849.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1851.jpg
    IMG_1851.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 223
A dedicated thread for this girder! Now we're talking!

What keep the links from popping off the bearings? Are they just pressed in?
The forks I was designing were for lighter weight . Up to 250 cc and smaller. Even for ebikes..I looked at cap bearings like on universal joints. But finding the right size & cost was too much.. So I settled on bronze oillite bushings..They would keep the wear off the aluminum..They are only 50 cents there abouts EACH ! AIRCRAFT supply ! But the cap bearings like the hot rod steering shaft u-joints would be better for heavy weights..But whatever the Harley 1948-49 125 cc rubber band forks got away with ( Pre Hummer named ). Should work fine.. I just prefer a mini coil over shock versus a rubber band..And I wanted CNC cut 6061 or 7075:girders..The 6061 will crack but you can weld 6061.. 7075 will not crack & cannot be welded. But Harley Sportster trees are 6061.. 7075:is a few bucks more. They make 80% 1911 gun frames from 7075 & it mills/cuts easy..MONO SHOCK GIRDER FORKS WOULD SELL WORLD WIDE. And much needed in the ebike market! A note: The Harley Big twin neck bearings are a common trailer wheel bearing.. What great simplicity ! 64 CHEVELLE (thru 1972) wheel bearings are the same.. Same fits,nova, Camaro... I like universal part interchange ! I checked all those bearings sizes on japanese bikes. $40?...I converted mine to use Big Twin size..Low as $2.86 each ! I do not like being " SONY-FIED"... I like universal interchange ! Do not like being extorted by exclusive parts ..Hence: Sony - fied...Or should I say : sony- FRIED .....?

I want one!:D

Posted via Mobile
I am glad to see someone doing aluminum girders.. A prototype of anything is pricey.. Once you get it right you can get mass produced cheaper..The lightweight market needs them..EBIKES have gone phenomenal. But bicycles are junk and awful to ride. I do not know any senior that wants to be ten feet up in the air with a seat post sticking up their butt .A fat tire 20" like a low riding bobber would be more laid back & relaxing. They just need help getting around.. It's a booming market, plenty of money for the right bike..So far it's not being built..They can't seem to realize that bicycles are built too cheezy. And a bad investment !

Back