650rider

I glad to see that you are getting the info from 650rider. I hope that this site will prove to be as good as 650rider. I am an avid motorcycle rider and my XS has been a joy. Looking forward to being an avid member on XS650.com.

Uh yeah well I can only assume that it'd be at least 5 times better. If not I'd be let down Trav. Although I thought 650rider was great; I hated when a thread was hijacked by politics..

TRAVIS! thats awesome, im so stoked you were able to make this happen and as i said before and with danno im in the same boat, not rich (poor college student budget in the middle of an xs build...enough said) but i will definitly donate as much as i can let go. even if it goes straight to you travis to spend on yourself, you have earned it! thanks again! looking forward to updates on the topic!

Rusty

This is indeed good news! Only thing, Travis---don't get in so deep you get burned out, OK? There are plenty of people who are willing and able to help---right, Guys?

Over on Britbike.com we have a mod for every board, so the owner doesn't have to step in unless things get serious, which they hardly ever do. It gives him (and everyone) a break, and keeps people involved.

I guess I'm suggesting that the guys here are a resource. Use them, and their energy.

And thanks for stepping up!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Barb

For sure, Travis is doing things right on this site. Travis, I hope you negotiated a low price for the 650rider site. As someone else mentioned, I don't think the 650rider site was a big loss. Its the people that make a site great.

Strong enforcement of the rules (no religion, no politics, tolerance to other viewpoints, etc.) keeps a site that is friendly, and enjoyable to all.

Strong enforcement of the rules (no religion, no politics, tolerance to other viewpoints, etc.) keeps a site that is friendly, and enjoyable to all.

Amen! Friendly banter--absolutely. Antagonistic arguments? No. Period! Isn't this neat? How often do people get a chance to start over? Very cool! :bike:

Barb

TRAVIS YOUR THE MAN !!!! AWSUME. Just glad all that stuff is not gone forever. T, when you need some cash for the upkeep, pocket, whatever, just put up a shingle. I had a Paypal account over to the rider site, & no reason for me not to continue.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah, what Gordon said! But if this site is going to be 5 times better than the 650rider site, will the name be changed to 3,250rider.com? Keep up the good work Travis!

Travis, thank you so much for undertaking this. I'm sure we're all more than appreciative. I hope I can contribute something at some point, though I had a couple of informational posts over at 650R that I hope will be a bit useful, at least in an informational sense.

You guys are great.... Barb too...

It'll be a while before 650rider is up and running again since Gerald is being a little slow in transferring everything over, but I hope it'll be back up in less than a week.

Once it does come back online, there should be no rush to copy and paste everything over here since the information isn't going anywhere. And as I said before, it will be read only. Things need to be transferred here in an efficient and organized manner. It needs to be done that way so that redirects can be setup for each thread or chunk of information that is moved. That way if some other site (like a blog or another forum) had linked to a thread on 650rider that is now here, when someone clicks on the link, they will automatically get redirected to the correct thread here. The same idea applies to search engines. You want to redirect them to the new content.

In the next few days (hopefully) I'm going to start another thread where I will go over all the details again about getting the information moved over. I'll probably be creating a temporary forum here where members here can identify individual threads that are worth saving.

There are basically two ways the information could be moved over. The first methods is members could copy and paste their builds and how to articles to new posts here. The second method is certain threads (or certain posts from threads) could be imported here. Or maybe certain pieces of information would be best if recreated here and other stuff might be better to import it. Either way, there will have to systematic method so the redirects can be set up properly. So don't start copying and pasting everything here until I give the go ahead. Initially we'll just want to identify the threads and posts that contain information worth saving and the temporary forum will be set up so everyone can help with that job. While that is going on, I'll be testing the importing procedures behind the scenes to make sure everything works like it is supposed to. If it all works out, there will probably be a couple of phases of imports to make sure we don't miss anything.

A lot of things can go wrong with importing. The BBcodes (forum specific codes used to format your posts like bolding text and inserting images and links) all need to be converted in each post as well as dealing with things like attachments and linking accounts for people that have accounts on both sites. There are scripts that do these tasks but they need to be setup and tested. There will probably be a specific thread for people to identify what their username was on 650rider if it is different than here. That will help when testing the linking of accounts.

If the importing procedure isn't as clean I'd like it or doesn't work for some reason, then the backup plan will be to just have members move the information over manually. It would provide for an opportunity to clean up some of the tech information as it gets moved over. For things like build threads, we could work out a way to have the replies included if it comes to that.

So as I said before, bear with me as this all happens over the next few weeks or even couple of months. It should be back up soon but there shouldn't be mad copying and pasting going on. You could copy it all down for your own use and paste it into a word document or something but don't paste it here. Not until we're ready. We need to stay organized so we don't just have a mess.

All of the above is subject to change since once I have access to the database and everything I might come up with a better solution to all of this. I'll let everyone know more as I know more.

Thanks for all the support.

Congratulations Travis, That is a hell of a lot of work:banghead: but it is going to make this site the best 650 site in the world. :thumbsup: your dedication has no peer :bow2:

I have to admit, I got half-way through Travis's post and was lost----do what with what to get what?? Wow! I'm sort of in awe!

This is going to be so cool, and we need to make the "new and improved" site the "go-to" site for XS fanatics! Travis, at some point you need to let us know what we can do to help, OK?

This is great!!! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Barb

Barb, you must have just stopped reading before this:

Initially we'll just want to identify the threads and posts that contain information worth saving and the temporary forum will be set up so everyone can help with that job.

So I'll be letting everyone know when the time comes. :thumbsup:

Back