7/8 internall throttle

Do these use a special cable?

The attachment ends need to be correct (at the carb and/or clutch actuator). But, at the bars, you're going to cut them off anyway to insert them into the mechanisms after you've greased them up good.

The last time I did it, I used extended Harley cables and reconstructed them with the right ends from the stock cables. I'm going to look for braided one's this time, though.

Rich

Last edited:
so did i read this right. that this 1" internal throttle fits into 7/8" bar's. Do you have a close up picture of how this works.

Jeep.

In one of the previous photos, it shows the reducer installed. On 1" bars, the reducer isn't used. I don't have any 7/8" bars to test that. But, the instructions mention that it's what the reducer is used for.

Rich

I think he means that aluminum looking sleeve comes off to fit inside the 7/8 bar. Not sure but thats all I can come up with. I did find these, not nearly as cheap as the bikers choice but they say they are for a 7/8 bar,made by Posh from japan

Attachments

• internal throttle.jpg
    internal throttle.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 167
Tampa...just to verify....you have twist clutch then, correct?

Correct. I'm working on a cable this week to see how well that actually works. Because the XS650 has the actuator inside the cover, it might work well vs the typical lever pull like on most bikes. Sometimes, you have to use a pulley to take out some of the resistance. We'll see how it goes...

The advantage to using the reducer on the 7/8" bars is the fact that you could use 1" grips and would rotate nicely over the 7/8" area of the bars where they come together. They'd be loose in that area, but still tight over the mechanisms. I hope that makes sense.

Rich

I'm getting ready to buy, but didn't the catalog used to show 7/8? It only mentions 1" now. I can't find anywhere else that says they will fit 7/8.

Did I miss my chance to get them?

I'm getting ready to buy, but didn't the catalog used to show 7/8? It only mentions 1" now. I can't find anywhere else that says they will fit 7/8.

Did I miss my chance to get them?

Phail:

I must have dipped into the good beer when I was posting about the reducer a while back... :doh: That reducer allows the internal mechanisms to work in bars greater that 1". From what I've found, 1" seems to be the smallest that they make (at least distributed on Ebay).

You might be able to take down a 1" mechanism to 7/8". There's a lot of "meat" on them. But, it could be an expensive experiment...

So, to answer your question. No, you didn't miss your chance... :D

And, for the record. The internal twist type clutch didn't work. There's just not enough leverage to make it a smooth action without configuring another pulley between the mechanism and the XS push lever. So, I went back to a regular clutch.

Internal throttle works slick as snot, though...

Rich

Thank Rich. :)

I was wondering how adding something would make it smaller. ;)

I guess I'll be looking for a regular throttle then.

I am bumping this.. For science..

The links posted here are pretty much dead.

Anyone have a source for a good internal throttle for 7/8 bars?

Back