72 xs650 Project just bought

Artyboy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm a total rookie when it comes to bikes, this will be my first. My mate is helping me, he has built a few choppers but all harleys so hopefully will be able to get some advise off this page with anything that confuses the hell out of him, also looking to learn as much as possible myself. If anyone has any sweet advise on what not to do or be aware of that would be awesome.

Only photo I have at the moment as the bike is in my mates shed will take some more this weekend.
this is how I bought it but with a different rear fender

IMG_0514.PNG

looks like a good start, im making my first build as well. ive gotten alot of quick replies on the site. people are really help here.

Get enough ignition parts and a set of carbs on it to see if/how it runs. Then start getting it ready for the road.

Looks like a good start for a project! As Gary said getting it running should be top priority, then focus on function/looks. Look over the welds and make sure they were done well, we've seen some shitty looking welds from someone's else's project before....best of luck.

Looks like a good start for a project! As Gary said getting it running should be top priority, then focus on function/looks. Look over the welds and make sure they were done well, we've seen some shitty looking welds from someone's else's project before....best of luck.
thanks mate yeah we checked all those and they were done by a shop that my mate is familiar with all look pretty solid. The bike is actually a bit further along than that photo, i will put some more pics up this weekend

A newer photo, Have got the rear fender mounted and made a Sissy bar, have got the seat mounted and the chain on, need to get a new tank as the old one does fit now the engine mount bolts are in plus a high mount will look nicer. would like to replace the bars aswell.

Need to get weld on stand and a few other parts still, waiting for more cash.

not sure where to mount pegs yet, have taken the exhaust off to get a better look. hoping to mid mount them, may need to make a bracket or something to extend out pas the casings and exhaust.
IMG_1013[1].JPG

IMG_1026[1].JPG

nice, it's looking good. i haven't touched my bike in weeks. been to busy dialing in my other bike. plus my gf just bought her first bike and im helping her with that. but i think ill work on the seat this week, so i can get started on the rear brake and foot pegs.

Back