'74-'75 enrichener operation

Pat D

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've gone through the carb guide, and my manual, and they are less than clear on the operation of this setup with the single enrichener on the left carb and the tube connecting it to the right. Unless I missed something ...

I just got the bike fired up for the first time since I got it in March, tank and seat are off so I just filled the bowls therough the inline filters with a funnel. I was really just looking to try out my electric starter spring clip tweak, but thought, what the hell, lets see if she fires. Well, she do. I've just got the headpipes on right now, no mufflers. With the enrichener "on", both cyls fire, but flip it "off", and the right cyl immediately drops out. I actually discovered this when I started the bike with the enrichener "off" and had cold air coming from the right pipe, with an occasional "pop". Engaged the enrichener and it came right on line.

So, since I'm gonna take it off and clean it, I figured it would be a good idea to see how this system is set up, so I know what to look for re: the too lean to run situation. I'm guessing that extra fuel is introduced to the right carb via the line that connects them?

Since the left side seems happy I'm not inclined to pull it unless road testing shows it to be necessary for some reason. Thanks in advance!

Yes, you've pretty much got it. The left carb's choke shares it's rich mix with the right carb through that crossover tube. The way the right cylinder drops out when you take the choke off could indicate it's pilot (low speed) circuit is plugged. Or it may be as simple as having the idle speed adjusted too low on the right carb. Turn it down enough and you close the butterfly right up, essentially turning that carb off at idle.

Thanks for the heads up, always nice to have someone familiar with the system confirm my assumptions!

Back