74-80 differences in frame, tank, etc?

Jasher

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am still very new to the xs650 world but am enjoying what I have learned so far. I am trying to find details on the difference between certain years of 650s? Is there a real difference in the body of the 74 through the 80 models other than the seat and bars? I am in the market for a 650 with the intent of just some basics modifications cosmetically as well as engine but am lacking the knowledge to commit yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So posting this gave me links to similar threads which I am now finding the answers in mikesx chart I.D. But I am always interested to here from you guys and any advise that can be given. Thanks

The biggest difference is that 78-83 specials have a 16" rear tire while the 74-79 standards have an 18 rear". The top rear shock mounts are a bit lower and forward on the Specials, 77 up fork tubes went from 34 to 35 mm and the front brake changed. Carbs evolved and changed through the years. After that Skull's thread covers a lot of the ground.

Hi Jasher,
XS650 parts swap like LEGO so whatever one you get can be modified to mostly be the one you want.
The earlier the bike, the more it'll sell for so long as it's not been irreversably messed with.
What I'd advise is to look for a post '79 Special as being the least costly and start from there.

Because of the shock top mount position wouldn't a standard frame look better as a tracker/ cafe racer and the special frame a soft tail bobber or cruiser?
Welcome to the site Jasher.

Posted via Mobile

Back