75-76 XS650 34mm stanchion/fork tube

cocinero196

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know if the 75-76 XS650 34mm stanchion/fork tube set of mikesxs is any good? Has anyone tried them? Any recommendations? Mine is in pretty bad shape. TIA!

Mine was pitted, they can be repaired and hard chromed again, I would choose that road as opposed to Mikes. It all depends on the pitting and straightness,

Attached a pic. Can this still be repaired? 20170328_121341.jpg

Mikes has a reputation, cheap, poor quality. I would be asking about the Chromium thickness before I even looked at purchasing from them. Have a look around the forum about alternative suppliers, in saying that I purchased a swing arm kit from Heiden Tuning and ended up with a bent pivot bolt tube....buyer beware...

I've rang the guy here in AU that did mine, (Rad Hard Chrome) he does 150 - 200 microns of her chrome. He said that he can get them back from being pretty bad by coating then re grinding then coating again, I asked how bad, his reply was they would have to be "pretty well rooted not to bring back".

hope that helps

Mick

I used to work for an automotive OEM supplier that specialized in fluid transfer, transmission and brake tubes. I did a lot of free favors for the area tool makers on two machines, one a tube straightener with roller dies, and the other machine a fine sander/grinder for various sizes of tubes. Every initial setup for these favors was virtually a do or die, no guarantee process, but I never wrecked a part. Wish I still had access to those machines for fork tubes. That can't happen since I walked out the door to work for their only competitor.:devilish:

Scott

Last edited:
Back