'75 build: ScramblerBratThingamajig

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Some of you may have seen my Pentagram wheel thread:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40530

Well, this is the bike that they'll be going on. This is my 5th XS650 build, but the first in a while. I've known about this bike for a few years. After finally scoring a set of Pentagrams I needed a bike, so I made the call.
It's only got about 7K on it and is a pretty nice bike. Seems to be well maintained and there aren't a lot of tool marks or hacked up nuts/bolts on it like someones been hacking away at it.
Heck, the valves and cam chain were even perfectly in adjustment when I checked them and I'd swear no one's ever had a wrench on the adjusters.

The bike last ran about two years ago. It came with a couple of carb rebuild kits because, according to the P.O., it would "pee a little fuel out of the overflows until I tapped on the bowl".
I pulled the carbs and gave them to Rick at OldSkool Carbs. He found a split float, gave them a quick cleaning, re-used the stock brass and installed some new O-rings and fuel lines.

Picked up a Pamco and coil and as soon as I get that installed, I'll give her a go at hearing it run again.

20150319_154713_zpsjah3gmfy.jpg

20150319_154740_zpsz4vevdec.jpg

I accidentally deleted the pics from when I first picked it up, but imagine a stock 75B with some aftermarket mufflers on it.
I swapped out the buckhorn bars for some black SuperBike bars I had laying around.

The front brake worked but leaked. I used the master cylinder on the bike and one from my old '75/78 project and made one good one.
I also had new rubber hoses left over from that build (from where I swapped in braided SS lines). Flushed and bled the system and I had working front brakes for $0.00!

20150319_152455_zps8tvlxtet.jpg

Installed new LED turn signals up front. I still have to wire them up. I have similar plans for the rear. Stay tuned for that...

20150410_123756_zpsn47we7ue.jpg

20150410_123808_zpsmwhbq9zh.jpg

20150410_123830_zpsegs9s1si.jpg

I was going to change the fork oil because, well....it's just something I always do. But then I found this under the caps:

20150412_123800_zpsn6oe021h.jpg

20150412_123800_zpsn6oe021h.jpg

I have the proper tool and still couldn't get them to budge without making the damage worse.
The good news is that the seals aren't leaking and the front end actually feels pretty good. I'll just leave well enough alone and if they ever become a problem I'll upgrade the whole front end.
In the meantime, I have a spare fender that I'll be cutting down and a fork brace that I picked up at Barber a couple of years ago. That should be going on in the next few days.

The wheels got new AllBalls bearings and I dropped them off today to have the Avon Distanzia tires mounted.

AM43-Distanzia-both.jpg.cf_zps11rfsw80.jpg

I was able to repair the vintage Hurst Airheart rear master cylinder with a new rebuild kit. At least, I think I did....no fluid through it yet.

20150325_153521_zps6umzsba2.jpg

I went to Cardinal rubber this morning and had a new rear hose made. Only cost me $11.28. As soon as I get the wheels back and rear spacers all figured out, I'll work on getting the rear brake working.

20150414_073503_zpsqvshialg.jpg

I actually had a spare tank and side covers that I've been hanging on to for a few years now. Stripped them to bare metal and then cleared with SprayMax 2K. I left all the dents, dings and light rusting in areas, but did sand the tank so that the sanding marks would match the side covers.
The finish is a little glossier than I would like, but the 2K paint is fuel resistant, and I'll probably have some pinstriping or art work added later on.

20150412_165136_zpsoznupref.jpg

20150412_170228_zpsslec7fto.jpg

20150412_170241_zpsiai5zs4m.jpg

The paint was still wet and it was overcast in that pic. It's not really quite that dark, especially when the sun hits it.
I installed two rebuilt petcocks and cleaned the tank so that it's spotless inside.

I'm just waiting on a few bits and pieces and to get a couple of things done, but this project should move pretty quick once everything starts falling into place.

I still have the tin that came on the bike. This tank has been Kreemed, but it's holding up. Unfortunately, there's a crease on the LH side. Otherwise, it's perfect. The seller actually had to point out the crease to me...it kinda fades into the stripe.

I'll hang on to these. Maybe strip the liner and treat the tank. That way, I can swap out bodywork for a different look!

20150414_140225_zpscndqzkhd.jpg

And here's an overall shot of the bike. I'll leave that exhaust on there until I fire up the bike and synch the carbs. I'll probably sell it, or at least the mufflers, when I'm done.

I have a pair of the shorty reverse cone mufflers I was going to put on those stock head pipes. I also have access to a pair of Mikes performance head pipes.
But then I picked up this 2-1 for cheap. I'll most likely run it, but not until I use the individual pipes to tune the carbs.
Anyone know what kind it is? It's not MAC, as the MAC headers go into a collector. This one has two individual headers and the muffler has a built in collector. The muffler shape reminds me of some Kerker exhausts I've seen.

Sneak preview of bodywork and CounterBalance seat.

I got the Pamco wired up. Might try to start her up before the weekend, if the old battery will take a charge.

20150415_112216_zpstu6xedkb.jpg

20150415_112126_zps7lpruy3m.jpg

20150415_112158_zpsacqtyble.jpg

20150415_112939_zpsfomjdf2q.jpg

20150415_113005_zpssgbv77uo.jpg

I have these tank badges that have been in my stash for forever. A guy on eBay was making them for vintage dirt bikes and I had him make me a set with "fake" screws. I ended up not using them for that project....what about now?
How do you think they'd look on this tank/bike? It's just stuck on there with painters tape. I'd bend it to match the curve of the tank and position it properly.

20150415_111934_zpsqwhwrwcv.jpg

20150415_111956_zpsvc2runa9.jpg

20150415_111916_zpsfztuxxu2.jpg

20150415_111925_zpsmmztf9oa.jpg

what did you use to get the side covers like that? They sure do look good, I've been experimenting with getting the grains to look like that. Nice work!!

what did you use to get the side covers like that? They sure do look good, I've been experimenting with getting the grains to look like that. Nice work!!

Stripped them with paint stripper and then used two grades of rough SkotchBrite pads. One was really rough.....not sure of the equivalent sand paper grade....then switched to the red pads.
Sanded in the direction(s) I wanted until I got the grain how I liked it. Tank is done the same way.

Wait.....you mean engine side covers?

Basically the same procedure, minus the paint stripper. But, I followed the SkotchBrite with some sand paper and finer grades, followed by a little steel wool and aluminum polish. Not so much as to bring back a shine as to just get some protectant on the aluminum.

Just start with some rough grades and go until you get the desired effect.

man, counterbalance does a great job with those seats. everything about this bike so far looks awesome! pretty much everything i want to do to my daily rider.

regarding the seat, what is the eye-to-eye length of your shocks? do you foresee any issues with the tire rubbing the seat pan? lastly, do you plan on running some kind of rear fender or just a taillight?

Back