75 xs500 wheel bearing kit

Docwits

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on a US vendor who might carry this? I have searched high and low and can only find Pyramid in Australia! I really need it this week if possible. Allballs doesn't make em. Also gonna post this on xs500 forum.

Thanks y'all.

As far as I know, the 500 and 650 front hubs are the same so should use the same bearings, grease seals, etc. The rear hubs are obviously different, you can tell just by looking at them, but they do use the same bearings and right side grease seal. The left side seal differs. Something else of note is that the left rear bearing on the 500 uses that same top hat shaped insert that the 650 has. So, don't pull that bearing and toss it without 1st removing the spacer for use in the new bearing.

Thanks, btw, I hope your name means you have 5 twin cyl bikes and not kids. I was able to find one of the bearings and seals on http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/ but not the other. I figured since I would have everything apart it would be a good time to swap out the bearings. The only complete set I could find were from Pyramid out of Australia.

Oh and I am using the front 650 wheel and had no problem finding those bearings. Any advantage to using the front 500 wheel? I already have a brembo kit coming for it so would rather not switch....

No advantage to using either one, as I said I'm pretty sure they are the exact same hub. The bearings used in all these wheels are nothing special. You can purchase them many places just by the bearing number. They're a standard metric bearing. Last ones I bought, I got from McMaster-Carr .....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-metric-ball-and-roller-bearings/=qpyxtz

Your fronts take two 6303's, the rears a 6304 and 6305. You'll note the 6305 is for a 25mm shaft diameter. That's why it needs that insert, to sleeve it down to 20mm so it fits on your axle.

I rarely replace the grease seals. If you're careful prying them out, they can be re-used. They're not a 100% seal like an oil seal, more a dust, dirt, and water shield. For bearings, you should be using the "2RS" (two rubber seals) type anyway so they are sealed on their own already. I should also mention that you should pop the rubber seals out of new bearings and check how much grease they contain. They're supposed to be sealed and lubed for life but some come with very little, if any, grease in them. I fill them about half way (add grease to one side only). Filling them completely is over-kill and too much. The excess will just ooze out past the seals when the bearings heat up and make a mess.

Back