75B Removing front wheel with dual discs

rbjenterprises

650B in SW Virginia
Reaction score
I have converted my single disc front wheel on my 75B to dual discs. All factory parts.

Is there any easy way to remove the wheel. The only I can figure out is to start by removing the fender stays and bolts from the fender mount to swing one fork out. I have been trying to figure out another way but this is the only way I have found.

Any one out there have this setup and have a better idea?

Remove the brake caliper(s) and axle and wiggle it out? Don't remove the brakelines from the caliper!

The problem is that the calipers cannot be removed without removing the wheel first. Top fastener is a nut(bad), bottom is a bolt(good). The discs are large diameter and with the calipers in the way the tire/rim cannot be dropped thru the space. I have been thinking of turning the top caliper mounting nut/stud into a bolt/spacer combination but that would require enlarging the hole in the fork. I have ss braided lines home run to the master cylinder so the new bolt and spacer may be my option.

rjb, I've also got a '75 with the dual disc setup, but mine are behind the forks, and I've got an aftermarket fork brace, so it might not help you too much. Also, it's been a few years since I removed the front wheel, and I might not be remembering correctly, but I think I removed the lower caliper bolt and removed the upper nut, dropped the wheel a bit, then rotated the caliper up until I could pull it out. IIRC, after the discs clear the calipers, there was enough room to cock the wheel enough to do this. I might have also unbolted the fork brace, but can't remember.
Since I'm about due for a new set of tires, I'll find out when I swap 'em. I'll have to write the procedure down this time :laugh:

Back