76 brat build

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Bought this 76 xs a year ago and finally a month or so ago I got around to making something out of it.
It had been laid down, barely ran. It was a rear wreck. I got a peanut tank mid mount and a seat done by Birdman seats. I did not document much during this. Ive got alot to do yet but its been fun.
I bent up some seat rails rather than buy them, I had the tube and I figured why not give it a try.
Cut off the original and welded mine in. Added mounts for the rear of the seat and made my own for the front. Its going to hinge so I can get to the electronics. And I also put springs under the seat. I know no one else does this if they have shocks why put springs under the seat. Well I want a better ride been there done that.
Last night I mounted the gas tank, I had to make some spacers to bring the tank up a quarter inch to clear my upper engine mounts. Drilled and tapped holes for 1/4 20 bolts.
Tonight I made the electronics box. I been dreading this. did not really know what I wanted. Got some
14gage steel diamond plate and some 16 gage aluminium plate. I have not welded much aluminium so that was not going to work. Its pretty though. Any way I do not know how much room to make for the electronics but I built it big enough Im sure I made it to mount under the seat like everyone else. I shaped it so it follows the coutures of the back bone and seat rails. Its not finished I still need to make a top for it. I have a plan and hope to get it done tomorrow. And I also have to weld mounts on the frame to bolt it to.

Attachments

• photo5.JPG
    photo5.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 002.JPG
    photo 002.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Nice work, man. Take more photos and keep em coming. What did you use for your rear shocks?

Thanks Herd, I bought some of those 10.5" shocks off ebay. There is probably a lot of better shocks out there than these but the price was right. I was actually looking for some good used honda rebel shocks but ran across these. I hope to finish this bike by spring of next.

Can someone tell me how they mounted the needed electronics in a box, going to go over some simple wiring schematics to see what is needed and try to figure the best way to mount needed items. Anyone with good ideas feel free to chime in. thanks

Can someone help me identify these electronic parts so I can get what I need mounted and finish up my elec box. I could not find anything that has all the 6 different coloured wires I think it looks like a rectifier but not sure it is mounted to the air filter box that I am removing. Then in the wiring harness there are 3 items I do not know what they are. Small black item, larger can type and a grey item. Any help in identification and if I need these to run the bike. I may leave the start relay so If I wish to I can use elec start option. thanks

Attachments

• photo 7.JPG
    photo 7.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 6.JPG
    photo 6.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 58
Check for a wiring diagram for your year. Should be able to sort it out from there. Maybe try an image search for components in question. I would identify the bare essentials and scrap the rest. There is a lot of unnecessary stuff going on in the electronics department on these bikes. Sorry couldn't be of more help. I scrapped my harness and redid everything, with a pamco ignition, hhb pma, capacitor, etc.

Ive checked this web site and printed out the schematics for my year and looked at other years and can not find any component with the 6 different coloured wires like the one Ive shown.

Almost finished the electronics box. Just need to mount electronics in side and weld on some tabs to the bike frame and mount it. I'll probably paint or powder coat it at some point. I used 14gauge steel diamond plate for the box and 16 gauge aluminium to make the top for it.
Sorry the picture it tilted I tried to adjust it. It goes every way but the right way.

Attachments

• photo 11.JPG
    photo 11.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 79
Got my mounts welded on the frame and mounted the electronics box today. I need to weld in side some mounts for the components. I may add one more mount for the box at the front part of it I think bolting it down in 3 places will be better than just 2. Id hate for it to brake a weld due to vibration because I cheaped out.

Added the pictures, Takes me a while to get the right side up.
when I get all the welding a cutting done Ill be removing the center stand.

Attachments

• photo 15.JPG
    photo 15.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 67
  • photo 22.JPG
    photo 22.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Back