76 hardtail - yet to be named build

tmb99

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
76 hardtail - the rusty broomstick

Hey all, thought I'd throw up some pics of my build. Not too much that's ground breaking, however we don't get too much stuff like this in Australia. So I'm pretty pumped about it and looking forward to getting out and riding it!

The initial build is just about done and its going off to the engineer for the final tick for it to all be legal. In Australia we have lots of rules and strict things to follow (must have indicators, centre mounted tail light, chain guard, rear guard must cover top 90 degrees ect ect...) so some of the bike's a bit boring, however I'v tried to keep it clean. Its all tuned and runs beautifully.

I'm planning on getting it rego'd and then riding it for awhile to iron everything out before pulling it all back down to the frame for complete paint - not sure of colours yet... kinda like the dirty rusty look.

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking...

here it is as it sat this afternoon
IMG_9069_zps2a1a8e81.jpg

The tail - two different grips as trying colours out.
IMG_9058_zps0be88c02.jpg

Clean dash - legally has to have warning light for indicators and high beam
IMG_9044_zpse6625337.jpg

lots of brass, cloth wire and clear hose...
IMG_9047_zpsbf06a203.jpg

my trial at brass etching for the oil filter cover
IMG_9053_zps9cd24be2.jpg

has a completely new harness and a bit of funky wiring
IMG_9061_zpscfd9bc99.jpg

cool little cap badge - I read it as "Ya Ma"
IMG_9042_zpsf7034fdd.jpg

Other things not really in pics are the brembo brakes and hydraulic clutch. I've also ordered the Gordon Scott curved drags.

Anyway thanks for this forum and everyone on here with the great info that has helped me over the last 7 months :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I love the dirty rusty look. That's what i'm doing on mine. There's something about it. My hat is off to you building that bike in 7 months.:thumbsup: My build is going on a year now.

I love it too! I got the same tank using on mine, like the rusty look too.
Did you have to raise the tank to make it clear everything? Looks like it's not totally flat against the tube, or was that just more of a personal thing
I vote for the cream/brownish grips for sure. That exhaust you got looks pretty damn cool....got any better pics of it from the right side?

How did you do the 'etching' on the oil cover? Looks neat

Would like to see it once you get all the 'legal' stuff on it like turn signals, etc. just for shits and giggles.

Thanks for the feedback. Build time is only 7mths as the PO had a local engineer hard-tail it. So when I got it a lot of the time consuming stuff had been done, it was a stripped back hard-tail.

The headers have had a special process that involved yrs of neglect. I'd guess they had a flat black paint that now has surface rust throughout. I've had to add a few inch's so it will clear the mids - so that's why its got a few inches of new stainless. Once I get home I'll put up some better pics of it.

The brass etching I came across here; http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7840
at first glance it looks complex however its really simple. The hardest part for me was getting brass sheet.

Oh and it is full legal trim in the pics - the indicators are on there! They're small ones from a xt500.

Last edited:
Bike is pretty much all finished - it's on the road legal and getting ridden lots! Keeping with the rat look. Few little bits still remaining that I'd like to tidy up. Here's some pics that were taken for a new Australian magazine "dirty love magazine".

IMG_01772_zps477ca38d.jpg

IMG_0106_zpscd9c20bb.jpg

IMG_9961_zps68874127.jpg

IMG_0025_zps12424a63.jpg

IMG_9983_zpsf5472fa2.jpg

IMG_0118_zpsaed94d4f.jpg

IMG_0123_zps3efbc5b6.jpg

Hey TMB99---Great looking ride, but talk to me about the brace above the front wheel while your bike is on the tote behind your car??? tim

the 'fork brace' is common when trailering motocross bikes, locks down solid and takes the pressure off the suspension and seals. Plus stops bouncing and potential unhooking.

Love the look of this bike. Only thing that would make it better is matching patina (not fake patina) paint on the tank and fender. But that would be almost impossible.

That engineering clearance must be a bitch to deal with. I guess we are lucky here in the states not having to deal with that stuff. I know I wouldn't have three hard tails under my belt if we did.:laugh:

Back