'76 stock XS650 Mikuni's on '82 XS650. Do they bolt on?

ambivalent_boone

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was told '76 Mikuni's would bolt on to '82 airbox/ engine. I got them, and have yet to get to work on it, but they look like they may be a little small for the stock airbox on my '82 Heritage Special. Any suggestions, tips on getting these to bolt on?

I'm admittedly not the most season motorcycle mechanic, so all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You will need different intake manifolds. The BS38s don't fit in the BS34 manifolds. Even then, connection to the airbox may be off. The diameter of the intake bells differs between the 38s and the 34s.

I would suggest getting them from 650Central or JBM Industries. The ones from MikesXS have had reported ethanol compatibility problems (they fall apart, lol). Even with the proper manifolds, that will only mount them on the engine. Like I said, they may not exactly match up to the airboxes. Compare the length of the two carb sets and you'll see they differ.

Ok, my question would be this; sure, I could find a manifold that fits the carbs, but with the manifolds fit my stock airbox? Thanks again, and direct links would be much appreciated!

I gave you the names, try Google. And read the Carb Guide we put together. It's in the tech section. The amount and "duh" factor of the questions you ask will be greatly reduced. Don't feel bad. All the new guys ask the same already answered stuff.

And the Google search is on the top left of any page, just below.... Home, Forum, Topics and Tech.

"Tech Menu", look under "Carburetors, Fuel, Intake, and Air Filters"

If you have the new carbs the questions you have asked are in front of you.

If you want to keep the stock air boxes use a set of stock BS34 carbs, 80-83. While it's not the question you asked I can about guarantee it's the best answer.

Back