77 bobber build

X77S

Let's do this!
Reaction score
20180205_220456.jpg 20180423_202148.jpg I planned on doing a build thread, but I always get busy and forget to take pictures along the way. I bought this bike about 5 years ago with plans to build a bobber and figured it would take a few months. Well, I may have been over zealous because this was more of a parts bike than a whole one.

I took it home and made it run (badly) before I tore it down to the frame. The wheels were really corroded so I decided to start there. Cleaned them up and painted/ relaced them. Then, life happened and it hit the back burner. At some point I cut the frame and installed the visual impact kit. And stopped there for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I had plans to use just flat black rustoleum so that touch ups would be easy, but it appears to not be near durable enough. So plans have changed there. I know I can get the 2k paint in a rattle can so that will probably be the route I go when I do some final painting.

I plan on getting it on the road ASAP, so hopefully ride it before summer is up. I'm going to need several things yet that I dont have. I've got a front brake caliper of unknown condition so I assume it will need a rebuild. The rest of the front brake system was either missing or seemed to crusty to use. If anyone has a line on any of those parts in decent shape, or where to buy one I'd appreciate some info. I planned on rewiring the bike but I saved most of the original harness to use if it seemed serviceable. I saved all of the electrical "doohickeys" because I wasnt sure what was needed later on. I may post pictures later on trying to get them identified.

The next thing I've got to figure out is moving foot controls, because with the dropped seat situation the stock location will be too close to be any where near comfortable.

Bear with me, mainly trying to get thoughts into words.

I've never been a huge fan of forwards. I was thinking about using the bottom motor mount holes but that may be too low. Time will tell when I get the motor back together and reinstalled.

I got the cases split this afternoon and everything seems to be kosher. When I looked at the oil filter there were some pretty good size metal particles in there but it seemed like mostly aluminum. Everything spins freely and smoothly. There were a couple gouges on the stator side cover and a rub on the inside of the cover. Which makes sense because the original seat frame and the left side fork lower had some spots as well. The oil plugs both had the normal "fuzz" you'd expect to see. I may "clearance" the cover where the rub mark is, to make sure it can't rub later on. I need to get a new sump filter and cam chain guides.

Are the mikesXS parts generally ok for the filter and guides or should I look elsewhere?

Just thought about the oil pump, wondering if that may be my shavings issue. I havent seen that on the forums as any kind of huge issue. Is there any other areas I should look at while I have it apart?

Last edited:
I had a look again at the shavings on the side filter and it seems consistent to the damaged/worn out front cam chain guide. I also read up on the sump filter fix, so I bought some JB Weld on the way home as well as some thread lock. Going out in a minute to do what I can getting the engine clean and started back together.

Been working on the engine off and on lately and working on getting it finished up. I was trying to put on the little snap rings in the advance arms and one broke. Went to try the next one and it went flying. So now I've gotta go try to find a few at the auto parts store. I need to find a line on some copper washers. Hoping Ace has some.

As far as the advance set up goes, my Chilton Manual is pretty vague. The little pin on the advance side should be oriented up as best I can tell. The hardest part is getting the lock ring tight without it turning. Is there a trick I should be aware of?

Also, I bought a 530 chain for this bike because one of the bike sites said it was stock size. Got to cleaning up the front sprocket yesterday and its stamped 510. I need to clean up the rear yet. Which size is recommended?

Also, I bought a 530 chain for this bike because one of the bike sites said it was stock size. Got to cleaning up the front sprocket yesterday and its stamped 510. I need to clean up the rear yet. Which size is recommended?

Hi X77S,
chain sizes are specified in 1/8th inch increments.
An XS650's stock 530 chain has links that are 5/8" long and rollers that are 3/8" wide.
The final zero is to enable specifying the 5//16" (525) roller width chain on Brit. singles.
Measure your front sprocket's width. 530 chain runs on 3/8" wide sprockets.
If your front sprocket is 1/8" thick like it's 510 stamp implies, replace it with a 17T x 3/8" width one.
An XS650's stock sprocket tooth count is 17T front (all models) and 33T (Euro) or 34T (USA & Canada) rear.
(Note 1) My 1984 Canadian XS650 Heritage Special came with a 36T rear sprocket which is great for sidecar work.
Note 2) If your new 530 chain is Heavy Duty or O-ring or X-ring those chains' bigger side-plates mean you hafta
remove the front sprocket's rubber-covered rubbing plate before it'll fit.

A 520 non O ring chain provides good shock and rear tire clearance.:thumbsup: Isn`t a 510 a bicycle type chain??

Last edited:
I'll have a look in a few and take some measurements.

I think I found some retainer rings for the advance unit. What's the easiest way to set that up as far as keeping it in time while I lock the nut down? I had things pretty close I think, but then I broke that lock ring retainer that keeps the weights on. I also promptly sent the other one flying across the garage. I assume i will find it in a year or two.

Hi X77S,
chain sizes are specified in 1/8th inch increments.
An XS650's stock 530 chain has links that are 5/8" long and rollers that are 3/8" wide.
The final zero is to enable specifying the 5//16" (525) roller width chain on Brit. singles.
Measure your front sprocket's width. 530 chain runs on 3/8" wide sprockets.
If your front sprocket is 1/8" thick like it's 510 stamp implies, replace it with a 17T x 3/8" width one.
An XS650's stock sprocket tooth count is 17T front (all models) and 33T (Euro) or 34T (USA & Canada) rear.
(Note 1) My 1984 Canadian XS650 Heritage Special came with a 36T rear sprocket which is great for sidecar work.
Note 2) If your new 530 chain is Heavy Duty or O-ring or X-ring those chains' bigger side-plates mean you hafta
remove the front sprocket's rubber-covered rubbing plate before it'll fit.
I bought a cheaper chain Cycles Unlimited or whatever that brand is. May or may not have gotten a heavy duty. Time will tell, my work truck got a flat over the long weekend, so I have to run out and change that first.

Ugh GMC 2500 HD trucks weren't made for changing the tire. Especially with a service bed on it. Besides that it is probably overloaded at the moment.

Checked the sprockets both measure at 3/8 inch checked against the chain they look good. Chain is standard duty as well.

Figured out the problem I was having with the advance side, apparently I didnt notice the pin in the cam and it had fallen out. I also found some retainer clips at Oriellys. Now I'm good to continue on later!

Nothing really new. I've got the motor back together where I can get it back in the bike to work on mocking up where I want to place everything. I think it turned out pretty well. Definitely cleaner than it was.
20210706_204213.jpg

I need to work on rear fender mounts, foot controls if I decide they need to move. Need to figure out a seat. Then I need to work on wiring as well as making a list for things I still need to buy.

Nothing really new. I've got the motor back together where I can get it back in the bike to work on mocking up where I want to place everything. I think it turned out pretty well. Definitely cleaner than it was.
View attachment 194450
I need to work on rear fender mounts, foot controls if I decide they need to move. Need to figure out a seat. Then I need to work on wiring as well as making a list for things I still need to buy.

Oooh! That’s a beauty!

A lot of drive time today. Been trying to make a mental inventory and making a buy list. That is VHT high temp paint. Supposedly chemical resistant, time will tell I know the paint I've used on the covers is not. So eventually I will be either stripping them and polishing them or a 2k hardener spray can. My compressor definitely isnt up to painting.

Just be aware that there is an alignment thing going on when you assemble the advance rod. To get the timing right, the locating pins for the points cam and the little advance disc must point in the same direction .....

LhHXTz4.jpg

The locating pin on the advance side can be installed in either side of the rod. One is correct, the other will throw the timing 180° off. There are alignment slash marks on the advance backing plate and the little disc to help you get this right .....

oOmaPmF.jpg

Oh, and here's the e-clip size. It's nice to have some extras of these on hand, as you've discovered, lol .....

nNp2ryd.gif

mL8ie0r.jpg

You'll want to remove some paint from one of the mount bosses. These bike don't have a ground strap, so electrical grounding goes through the mounts.

Just be aware that there is an alignment thing going on when you assemble the advance rod. To get the timing right, the locating pins for the points cam and the little advance disc must point in the same direction .....

LhHXTz4.jpg

The locating pin on the advance side can be installed in either side of the rod. One is correct, the other will throw the timing 180° off. There are alignment slash marks on the advance backing plate and the little disc to help you get this right .....

oOmaPmF.jpg

Oh, and here's the e-clip size. It's nice to have some extras of these on hand, as you've discovered, lol .....

nNp2ryd.gif

mL8ie0r.jpg
I had thought about the timing of the points cam. I think I have it correct. I may revisit it before I install the motor into the bike for mock up of everything else. I bought some 11 inch shocks and I'm kind of worried it may be too low now and the fender may get into the seat area. First bike build and I've done so much out of order.

Back