78 standard, headlight not working new bulb with housing

chrismd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just wondering my headlight doesn't work the right wires are connected. i replaced the headlight complete just like the original from MIKESXS. i did manage to get a lot of stuff to work had to replace the electrical system. should the light just come on with the key in the on switch or do i have to start the engine, but at this time basically the engine is not running because i must reconnect the carbs, fuel lines and tank. it's a total project. i also have to change the jets and mount aftermarket exhaust. the motorcycle is a standard xs60E.
thank you

The headlight will come on automatically once the engine starts. Now, it should come on with the key on and the handlebar switch in the "On" position. That on-off switch only works with the key on, motor not running on a '78 model. Once the motor starts, there's a safety relay that will automatically turn the headlight on.

think you need to disconnect red/white wire at the safety relay to enable headlight switch ON/OFF function on a 78... temporary jumper red/yellow to blue/black at the relay to test headlight/ headlight switch function without starting engine

Last edited:
The red/white is for the starter portion of the relay. The blue/black is for the headlight portion. But the on-off switch on the handlebar and the headlight should work with it connected, key on, motor off.

So 78 is the only year that had both the headlight on/off at the bar and the safety relay to turn the light on? Interesting, you think it would have one or the other.

It was the transition year. Last year the switch was included on the bar, first year for the auto-on relay. It was a silly set-up really. The bar switch only worked with the key on, motor not running. As soon as you started the bike, that relay kicked in and by-passed the switch, rendering it useless. It didn't matter what position you had it in, it did nothing. Luckily, it's easy to take the relay out of the picture and restore full functionality to the switch .....

HLSwitchRelay.jpg

Back